Travel by Air? Ultralight | Squat the Planet

Travel by Air? Ultralight

BradKajukenbo

Reaction score

A person I know well is going through a divorce and may have to sell his Air Trike. I told him if he really decides to sell it, I want it. I think this would be one hell of a way to travel across the country. Over a dozen times or so he's flown me around the lake in it.

D

Deleted member 125

As neat as these things are do I really have to list the reasons this isn't the best/smartest/even remotely viable way to travel across a country?

D

Deleted member 23824

Can you attach a 50 gallon fuel tank, and a shitter to it? Or use a seat with a trapdoor and try some target practice from several hundred feet in the air.

• Haha
Reactions: Juan Derlust

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
These machines have many regulations on when and how you can use them in airspaces across the country. Im not sure this would be a viable option for any sort of long distance travel. I know there was that camp in the slabs that flys them....

Personally, those things freak me out.....

• Useful

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
it's been done before, but you're pretty limited on the distance you can go due to fuel.

• Useful

WyldLyfe

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
If you could perhaps design or have some one make one of those that could travel for much longer periods at a time, that would be cool. Watch out for storms.

storm-clipart-angry-cloud-1.gif

Last edited:
  • Agree

BradKajukenbo

Reaction score
Yea guys, its a no go. He'll sell. I just dont have the $9k he is wanting for it. My savings is for my retirement goal. For a moment tho I was saying "Fuck Alaska Retirement" but self control got the best of me.

The owner was telling me the Need To Knows about them. No Pilot License are required unless you have a passenger.

Daylight flying only. Cannot fly over congested areas. Prior permission is required to fly in controlled air space. 5 Gallon fuel tank only.

He never had the time to go across the country in it. Though he says On a full tank, by himself with a 50lbs pack, on a calm day he could get 165nm. Or around 3 1/2 hours. If I had the money to buy it without having to dip into my savings I would.

D

Deleted member 23824

Last edited:

BradKajukenbo

Reaction score
Second job? Charge kids rent? Lead group tours for those wanting to hop freight trains?😀

My son and his former girlfriend had big plans on moving out and having a place on their own. That didn't work out and he unpacked his bags. Then he and I discussed paying rent. Its working out. My son Brian and his girlfriend just moved to Portland. He he is a Domestic Technician. Most people refer to the position as a stay at home dad. Couple months ago he called to tell me I owed him back pay because he realized he hadn't gotten allowance in the past few years. He even added it up. I told him that when a kid turns 18, allowance doesn't apply anymore.

A train hopping tour guide. Does have a ring to it kinda. I love teaching martial arts. I'm not much of a people person though in the traveling field. A couple friends riding along is always a welcome. But any more then 4, I am not comfortable with.

• Love It

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com

Fuzzypeach

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 52302

A person I know well is going through a divorce and may have to sell his Air Trike. I told him if he really decides to sell it, I want it. I think this would be one hell of a way to travel across the country. Over a dozen times or so he's flown me around the lake in it.
Wow. You do realize that can be easily be overcome by winds aloft or a microburst. Also not sure about FAA licensing and certification regarding type and operation. Not practical for anything but tooling around your local park. Traveling, not so much.

Fuzzypeach

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
i've been a passenger on one of these and it was incredibly fun.
As a former parachutist and fighter jet mechanic, the balls I'd need to set foot in one of these would exceed the payload capacity
ROFLMAO. I am a former AMT for the airlines and Flight Engineer. I gave a more technical response but you are spot on! Not to mention if it wandered into Class B,C,or D airspace. I can just hear some pilot on final saying: What the fuck was THAT?"

Shaggy Rogers

Reaction score
View attachment 52302

I thought about this. Stay right above the treeline, away from airspace thats monitored. A steampunk dirigible/blimp would be awesome. Full ship an all.

Jackthereaper

Reaction score
I thought about this. Stay right above the treeline, away from airspace thats monitored. A steampunk dirigible/blimp would be awesome. Full ship an all.
I would highly advise against “staying right above the treeline” in an ultralight. Hit a sink, have an engine issue, any problem that might cause you to lose altitude will result in a crash into the trees or ground.

onethingtosay

Reaction score
Add peddles, that way if you run out of fuel, it become a pedal powered aircraft! (This is a joke. Do not attempt.) You could pedal it on the ground if you folded 5he wings (is that even posible?) Might be hard, it would be heavy...

• Haha
Reactions: Matt Derrick

Hobo richard

Reaction score
These machines have many regulations on when and how you can use them in airspaces across the country. Im not sure this would be a viable option for any sort of long distance travel. I know there was that camp in the slabs that flys them....

Personally, those things freak me out.....
Didn't one of those kill John Denver?

Jackthereaper

Reaction score
John Denver died in a rutan long ez, an aircraft with far superior capabilities to any ultralight.

Attachments

• BA585BE5-0682-41F8-AC82-19C162834E74.jpeg
    BA585BE5-0682-41F8-AC82-19C162834E74.jpeg
    82.1 KB · Views: 289

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads