to guitar or not to guitar | Squat the Planet

to guitar or not to guitar

Cotton Kittyhawk

Reaction score
So, I've found myself in st Pete florida somehow. I've been here three days housed up by a family friend and I've got wanderlust from hell! My dilemma is, I fucking hate the gear I have. I've got a medium Alice w/o the frame and a walmart sleeping bag. I love my sleeping bag as its a fuck ton lighter then my military bag, but with the medium Alice it barely fits in the main compartment. I could strap it to the outside like I did my other bag but I found it a pain in the ass hopping freight. On top of that I have a geetar that I wanted to bring, but with my awkward pack and a new pup to care for, i'm starting to think I should leave it. I can't right sing while playing so busking is a tricky art, and I've got mad writers block. All I can fucking write about is shit that's already happened, and who wants to hear some sappy bullshit about lost love or feeling trapped wherever you are?
I'm starting to think I need to just go live and have new experiences before I go back to music, but what the fuck will I do with my spare time without it? I'm dying to leave but feel weighed down by the extra bulk. On top of that, I don't even know where the fuck to go. It's seeming like florida is the same as Texas with more palm trees. Is all of the U.S. The same?

C

Cree

Florida may be 1 of the worst states to live in. So it's not you. Texas is a bit better imo. Take a deep breath sit down relax and think about what YOU want, that means YOU, not advice from friends or family or on here. Figure out what you want to do then get advice on how to go that route.

J

Johnny P

Texas is way way better than Florida, the rest of the Country is nothing like Florida or Texas. Texas and Florida have very little in common..

NomadicHobo

Reaction score
Leave the guitar.
It's a serious bitch hauling that, your pack and a dog around. I thought I could do it too but I made it about 150 m and got rid of the guitar in favor of an empty hand.

notOK

Reaction score
A guitar is nice but bulky as all get out. Even a
Mandolin is bigger than I like, but it's sweet to travel with something to play around with. You sound like you're trying to give yourself convincing arguments for leaving it this time. But could just be reading overmuch.

And Florida blows because the bastards took away 40s half a century ago, and I hate being robbed of my 8oz that makes the difference. But at the same time Florida kicks ass & I'm glad so many people hate it cause it don't get blown up. Hell, I wish AC was never invented, then it'd be just orange groves and cow pastures and swamp and sugar sand.

J

Johnny P

But at the same time Florida kicks ass & I'm glad so many people hate it cause it don't get blown up. Hell, I wish AC was never invented, then it'd be just orange groves and cow pastures and swamp and sugar sand.

Florida doesn't get blown up? What Florida have you been to?

J

Johnny P

Bring your fucking guitar, I've traveled with tons of kids who have had a guitar. It's not that hard to do...but if you can't play it don't bring it. The last thing we need is more guitar players who don't even know how to play...

K

Kim Chee

The last thing we need is more guitar players who don't even know how to play...

Haha! The last thing we need is guitar players who know how to play and hardly ever play. All kinds of skll levels out there, here's to those who are still learning.

@DisgustinDustin can play mighty fine guitar. He brought his along on a trip we took which included some train riding and hanging out. It was an encumberance at times, but the couple times I heard him strum and sing made it worth it. Personally, I wouldn't want to be responsible for a guitar while traveling unless I was getting some serious use out of it.

DonnyDerelict

Reaction score
God damn.. I've been thinking the same thing. I have a little $100 3/4 scale Yamaha guitar. Got it specifically for traveling, but now I'm not sure if I should bring it. It's definitely a bulk issue for me. I like riding DPUs, and I remember how annoying it was to get in one with my fuckin mando strapped onto my Alice pack. It's not only DPUs, either. It's everything. I had to do a ton of bush whacking last summer, and there was actually a point when I done fucked up and ended up dodging a bull for four fucking hours(crawling through dense brush and shit at night while avoiding a fuckin spotlight thing). I can't even fathom what that would have been like with a guitar. :(

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads