To Go On By Yourself..?

Maxx Power

Reaction score
I guess that was dumb of me to say :D Luckily I got a ride to Santa Rosa and I'll head south after that. Hope I dont get stuck in San Francisco.

RainyDaze

Reaction score
Hope I dont get stuck in San Francisco.
Haha! Yeah, get in and get out. I got to the bay early November 2013 with the intention of heading further south. I ended up just dicking around with other travelers in the area and never made it past San Jose. When I finally left it was April 2014 and I was hitching back north out of Sausalito.

Maxx Power

Reaction score
I hitched from santa rosa all the way to Carpinteria all by myself.!!. ::joyful::

Maxx Power

Reaction score
It's normal human emotions. If I speak the truth it's because I want others to feel comfortable to do so as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Odin and Jaguwar

Leetch

Reaction score
Hey, just wanted to throw out that I am also new to the site and nervous to travel alone... but more so because I'm a younger female. I've had some creepy experiences with truckers before, and I'm kind of curious if anyone has any pointers on avoiding that sort of bs?

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Hey, just wanted to throw out that I am also new to the site and nervous to travel alone... but more so because I'm a younger female. I've had some creepy experiences with truckers before, and I'm kind of curious if anyone has any pointers on avoiding that sort of bs?

I'm not much of a traveler... and I don't have much advice.

But I will say... stay clever and stay suspicious... but keep your sense of humor... though keep your eyes like a clever hawk and your nose like a Wiley coyote... or ... fox...

Don't be gullible... know that people look for advantage too often... but remember there is also some real cool kindness out there.

Mostly I don't know what to tell a younger female traveler... but be brave...and be careful... and enjoy your travels.
Be safe have fun.

It's normal human emotions. If I speak the truth it's because I want others to feel comfortable to do so as well.

Yes. That is good. :)

S

spectacular

lately i've been avoiding hitching. female here outside for 3 going on 4 years. over the last few months i've had a lot more guys looking for sex when picking me up off the highway. so i now either hop freight or ride busses. sometimes i browse craigslist and look for free rides. these are rare and usually run between LA and SF or vice versa... sometimes people want help with driving or just a warm body to talk to and keep them awake. i once caught a free ride on one of those little airplanes from a guy off CL, he was alright. i now only occasionally thumb.

as for avoiding BS it's nearly impossible to completely avoid as a person of either sex. but i like the quote which rings true most of the time and that is "go quietly; alone and no harm shall befall you." keep it low and don't rely on other people for too much. i find that's what works for me.

• Useful
Reactions: Odin

Leetch

Reaction score
lately i've been avoiding hitching. female here outside for 3 going on 4 years. over the last few months i've had a lot more guys looking for sex when picking me up off the highway. so i now either hop freight or ride busses.

Thanks for the point of view! I plan on going with freight for the most part, but there are places I wanna visit that trains don't go through. Also, I've met a lot of decent folk who ride trains, but also a lot of douchecanoes. Train kids can be pretty aggro. Thinking maybe getting a dog would be the best plan.

Maxx Power

Reaction score

I was afraid to go on by myself and I'm a male, I couldn't imagine being a female and doing the same thing. I wouldn't imagine you would have to bring some heavy firing power or have a black belt. Has there ever been a time when you had to physically fight to get out of a bad situation?

Maxx Power

Reaction score
So it turns out I was just letting my insecurities eat me alive because I made it to the show on time and played like I wasn't even nervous even though I was shaking on the inside lol. With a little help with friends and some positivity sent from the universe I was able to get over that mental hump. I just need to find a guitar for free so I don't have to borrow it from others::clown::

Reactions: Jaguwar

Leetch

Reaction score
I was afraid to go on by myself and I'm a male, I couldn't imagine being a female and doing the same thing. I wouldn't imagine you would have to bring some heavy firing power or have a black belt. Has there ever been a time when you had to physically fight to get out of a bad situation?
Naw, man. Never hit anyone before, either.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads