This forum saved my life.

Mark Benz

Reaction score
This is my first post on StP, but I've had an account for several years now. I thought it would be fun to share my story.

I had always wanted to ride trains. I dreamed about riding the rails even as a little, little kid. At that time though, I knew it was impossible. About 8 years ago, something changed and hopping seemed like a dim possibility. But the big problem: I didn't know a single person that could teach me. Some kind of mentor would be necessary. Eventually I found this site and I read everything I could. But I was still too scared. The members on StP forums almost always discouraged people that wanted to learn. I decided to never post simply out of fear. I knew that I was an outsider (and for good reason). Over time the dream faded.

About 3 years ago, I went through an awful breakup and my mental health rapidly deteriorated. I needed to get away for my own sake. I flew to Portland to visit an old friend. After about a week in Oregon, I had the strange idea to take some pictures of the yard in the Albina neighborhood. I was wandering around under the red bridge and decided to chat some folks sitting trackside. We kicked it off! They needed to get to Eugene in the morning, but also wouldn't be able to safely drive their own car. I offered to drive it for them. We spent the whole next day together.

The told me that they had ridden trains for about five years. I told them about everything that had happened. The breakup, the obsession with trains, wanting to get away. So they decided to put me on a train to Roseville.

I rode for six months, learning as I went. Eventually I was able to go back home!

Now I ride the rails for a couple months each year! I just got back from my fourth long(ish) trip. Worcester-->Portland--->Denver--->Providence.

And I'm loving life. Honestly, I don't think I would have ever had the courage to ride if I hadn't found this site.

Thanks folks!

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
The members on StP forums almost always discouraged people that wanted to learn.

Aww c'mon now, I wouldn't put it like that. In fact I'd say it's been exactly the opposite. The actual riders on this site who chime in on the "I'd like to hop one day" posts seem to encourage those people to learn all they can first. The only discouragement I've seen has been "don't go at it alone, find someone who's got a clue who's willing to ride with ya if you can" and that's for good reason. Nobody here want's someone like that to go out there and get hurt, or die. Beyond dying just sucking, it also brings just a little more heat to the yards and nobody wants that.

D

Deleted member 8978

The reason I never asked a lot for advice was simply because I had the nerve to teach myself how to safely handle freight cars in an unsupervised and unauthorized environment. Here in Georgia, I figured I would get the hang of grainers, gondolas, and empty auto racks while they're stopped for a while so I know what to expect when I am on one that does roll. Just keep teaching yourself but always be aware of your surroundings. It's good to know that forums like this pretty much gave you an ability to explore, be free, and actually live the life you have to the extreme. The thing is, though, before I even started posting, I was simply confident enough to just go straight to the rails myself and learn something. I think many of us have.

Last edited:

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
@Mark Benz thank you for sharing that, it means a lot to me running this site and i'm glad we were able to help you! you'll run into naysayers just about anywhere you go, so while you should heed warnings, don't let others decide what's right for your life.

Gypsy McNomad

Reaction score
This is my first post on StP, but I've had an account for several years now. I thought it would be fun to share my story.

I had always wanted to ride trains. I dreamed about riding the rails even as a little, little kid. At that time though, I knew it was impossible. About 8 years ago, something changed and hopping seemed like a dim possibility. But the big problem: I didn't know a single person that could teach me. Some kind of mentor would be necessary. Eventually I found this site and I read everything I could. But I was still too scared. The members on StP forums almost always discouraged people that wanted to learn. I decided to never post simply out of fear. I knew that I was an outsider (and for good reason). Over time the dream faded.

About 3 years ago, I went through an awful breakup and my mental health rapidly deteriorated. I needed to get away for my own sake. I flew to Portland to visit an old friend. After about a week in Oregon, I had the strange idea to take some pictures of the yard in the Albina neighborhood. I was wandering around under the red bridge and decided to chat some folks sitting trackside. We kicked it off! They needed to get to Eugene in the morning, but also wouldn't be able to safely drive their own car. I offered to drive it for them. We spent the whole next day together.

The told me that they had ridden trains for about five years. I told them about everything that had happened. The breakup, the obsession with trains, wanting to get away. So they decided to put me on a train to Roseville.

I rode for six months, learning as I went. Eventually I was able to go back home!

Now I ride the rails for a couple months each year! I just got back from my fourth long(ish) trip. Worcester-->Portland--->Denver--->Providence.

And I'm loving life. Honestly, I don't think I would have ever had the courage to ride if I hadn't found this site.

Thanks folks!
You in Providence right now? I live out here, not too many ppl from RI on here

Art101

Reaction score
The reason I never asked a lot for advice was simply because I had the nerve to teach myself how to safely handle freight cars in an unsupervised and unauthorized environment. I figured I would get the hang of it while it is stopped for a while so I know what to expect when I am on one that does roll. Just keep teaching yourself but always be aware of your surroundings.
That's how I learned.Then again there was no STP nor was there Internet ot cell phones come to think of it lol.Such dark times it was.

Lob

Reaction score
Great story! Ive always wanted to ride the rails also. What months are you still doing it? I would like to meet up maybe you can help me get my bearings. Im new to this site,So far everyone has been really helpful and willing to answer alot of my questions. I gotta start somewhere ! This site is the shit. Im using it more than facebook now. I chat with more like minded folks on here than i ever did .

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads