Question Things I should take on the road?

Lost word

Reaction score
I was currently thinking about hitting the road for a while, in order to think and contemplate some the in-depth questions I have
And was curious on that are some of the essential provisions, that would give my trip comfort, but not weigh me down?
Any advice would be much appreciated

Last edited:
Reactions: laughingman

The Toecutter

The Patron Saint of Filth
Reaction score
-A cigarette lighter and a book of matches as backup. Both are light, and you can use them to tart a fire if you are camping somewhere.

-An empty tin can. Reason being, you can punch holes in it and make a stove out of it. See the link below:

-A hand-operated can opener.

-Socks were mentioned, so I'll say an extra t-shirt and an extra pair of underwear

-Weed. You can carry a lot of high for not a lot of weight/space.

-A condom, just in case the opportunity to use it presents itself.

-If you have pale skin, sunblock

-Hand sanitizer

butt wipes.

Definitely agreed. Especially if you are hitchhiking, bike touring, or take the bus. In the case of the latter, I got caught in the bathroom on the back of a Greyhound having used the toilet, with nothing to wipe with. I had to crack the door open and ask strangers to hand me something to use. One of the cute 20-something gals sitting in the back handed me a roll of paper towels while I awkwardly had the door cracked open. 'Twas a long walk back to the front of the bus where I was sitting, because everyone knew... A sealed wet wipe in my pocket would have prevented all of that.

You can also use them to give yourself a cleaning if no shower is accessible and you can't find a suitable public restroom with a sink to "bird bath" with.

Lost word

Reaction score
-A cigarette lighter and a book of matches as backup. Both are light, and you can use them to tart a fire if you are camping somewhere.

-An empty tin can. Reason being, you can punch holes in it and make a stove out of it. See the link below:

-A hand-operated can opener.

-Socks were mentioned, so I'll say an extra t-shirt and an extra pair of underwear

-Weed. You can carry a lot of high for not a lot of weight/space.

-A condom, just in case the opportunity to use it presents itself.

-If you have pale skin, sunblock

-Hand sanitizer

Definitely agreed. Especially if you are hitchhiking, bike touring, or take the bus. In the case of the latter, I got caught in the bathroom on the back of a Greyhound having used the toilet, with nothing to wipe with. I had to crack the door open and ask strangers to hand me something to use. One of the cute 20-something gals sitting in the back handed me a roll of paper towels while I awkwardly had the door cracked open. 'Twas a long walk back to the front of the bus where I was sitting, because everyone knew... A sealed wet wipe in my pocket would have prevented all of that.

You can also use them to give yourself a cleaning if no shower is accessible and you can't find a suitable public restroom with a sink to "bird bath" with.

Thank you so much for the information
I’ll definitely take all the advice I can get

Joey Garbanzo

Muscle of the DiPinto Crime Family
Reaction score
Don't forget the water jug and sillcock. Stay hydrated. A sharpie for signs and if you have room for a luxury item bring some form of entertainment...a small instrument, a book, deck of cards, dominoes...something to pass the time

Lost word

Reaction score
Don't forget the water jug and sillcock. Stay hydrated. A sharpie for signs and if you have room for a luxury item bring some form of entertainment...a small instrument, a book, deck of cards, dominoes...something to pass the time

Definitely wouldn’t have thought about an instrument…. That’s a great idea

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I was currently thinking about hitting the road for a while, in order to think and contemplate some the in-depth questions I have
And was curious on that are some of the essential provisions, that would give my trip comfort, but not weigh me down?

I've changed the title of your thread to something that actually makes sense.

No idea what 'the philosopher question' thread title is supposed to mean...

helyah

Reaction score
There's a lot of good advice above, the only thing I would add is to make sure you have a strong AND comfortable pack to carry all of this stuff.

It would suck to get out there and get pack sores, or even worse, have a shoulder strap rip from not being able to handle the weight.
I would suggest using your fully loaded pack for at least a day before you plan on actually heading out.
Give it a good test run with a nice walk through a park for a couple hours.

Lost word

Reaction score
Underwear long John type and sturdy camping knife for odd jobs and the opportunity for knife skills when prepping food... Processing kindling if a fires appropriate and as defense against murder 🦡 badgers... Lol

I have a couple knives and live off grid now so mu skills with it are pretty good
Long Johns tho is a very good idea
Thank you
And will be on the look out for the murder 🦡 badger 😂

AyeAaron

Hobocop
Reaction score
Lots of lube

200.gif

Nomadicinquiries

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score

A sillcock...dang we been calling these water keys for years, I always knew there was an actual name for the frikken thing lol

Nomadicinquiries

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
There's a lot of good advice above, the only thing I would add is to make sure you have a strong AND comfortable pack to carry all of this stuff.

It would suck to get out there and get pack sores, or even worse, have a shoulder strap rip from not being able to handle the weight.
I would suggest using your fully loaded pack for at least a day before you plan on actually heading out.
Give it a good test run with a nice walk through a park for a couple hours.

I second this, years ago I would cheap out on packs, always disappoints... like he said, back pain etc, really pays off to have a decent pack that's designed to walk with weight etc

Raggamuffin

Reaction score
Essentials:
  • Small gypsy bell (for a tripwire, if you camp)
  • A hat (warmth, protection, collecting change)
  • Solid metal cup
  • Needle & thread
  • Xtra socks
  • Small dry bag (for wet / stinky things)
  • Duct tape

Non-essentials that I now personally wouldn't go without:
  • Salt, pepper & favourite spice (small pouch to use on them bland foods)
  • Stickers (to swap / trade)
  • A small useful item you can use to trade with / earn money from (for me it's a crochet hook to fix up my own & other people's dreadlocks)
  • Harmonica

Lost word

Reaction score
Essentials:
  • Small gypsy bell (for a tripwire, if you camp)
  • A hat (warmth, protection, collecting change)
  • Solid metal cup
  • Needle & thread
  • Xtra socks
  • Small dry bag (for wet / stinky things)
  • Duct tape

Non-essentials that I now personally wouldn't go without:
  • Salt, pepper & favourite spice (small pouch to use on them bland foods)
  • Stickers (to swap / trade)
  • A small useful item you can use to trade with / earn money from (for me it's a crochet hook to fix up my own & other people's dreadlocks)
  • Harmonica

I just took a screenshot of this
Never thought about a trip wire
Thank you

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com

Please pay attention to what section you are posting in. This is not an introduction. Thread moved to gear section.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads