Thermal Cameras

yagiyagiyagi

Reaction score
Just want to make everyone aware that there are a number of upcoming tech companies that utilize thermal cameras + AI to find people "trespassing". As soon as AI gets an alert that there is a body temperature it alerts their corresponding centers of eyes to see what's going on.

Just trying to help.

Raleslicr

Reaction score
I've been talking about this for the past year.

AI and cameras are going to ruin us. It's going to lead to 1984 esque power dynamics.

Private and public CCTV will merge and you won't get away with anything. Especially if drones become more popular, it would be easy and low cost to have drones patrol entire cities with the advent of ai crime detection. Mixed with thermal, phone gps, walking patterns, it's the beginning of the end of liberty and the beginning of the beginning of what horrors lie ahead.

Mit or Harvard developed a shirt that tricks ai recognition as a sort of camouflage, but who knows how long that will work and if anything can be done to combat this.

Also, tarps and reflective emergency blankets combat thermal vision, but again, this is the infancy of this technology.

EMP
EVERYONE MUST PLAY

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Just want to make everyone aware that there are a number of upcoming tech companies that utilize thermal cameras + AI to find people "trespassing". As soon as AI gets an alert that there is a body temperature it alerts their corresponding centers of eyes to see what's going on.

Just trying to help.

So, all hearsay and no links or evidence to back it up. Please support what you say with references, otherwise you're just fear mongering.

yagiyagiyagi

Reaction score

EDIT: to be fair these type of yuppie-run saas companies like to target enterprise businesses for their client base so idk just stay away from corporate-owned property

Last edited:

Raleslicr

Reaction score
So, all hearsay and no links or evidence to back it up. Please support what you say with references, otherwise you're just fear mongering.

I agree, and it is baseless to not cite. But I think it's apart of a greater conversation that can be had about the direction of the world. And Matt, you here have a community of people who's very lively hood and liberty are threatened by this technologies potential.

Are just a couple sources I found that they are becoming prevalent. Though seems Europe is putting emphasis on the technology more than anywhere else.

• Useful
Reactions: Matt Derrick

texastraveler

Reaction score
If it's cold enough you can cover damn near all your body with insulated clothes thermals really struggle. They also can't see at all through glass, and really struggle with even a bit of foliage. I fucking hate digital technology so much

• Useful
Reactions: The Toecutter

texastraveler

Reaction score

Using Artificial Intelligence to Address Criminal Justice ... https://www.ojp.gov/pdffiles1/nij/252038.pdf
losspreventionmedia.com/face-matching-leads-to-big-wins-for-retailers/

There's countless patents, companies with the stated mission of developing AI for the express purpose of 'fighting crime' (mass surveillance), and public research into this application of AI. Given all the potential for profits, and the extra surveillance capacity it would afford TPTB, it's silly to think that this isn't being developed to be put into use ASAP

Reactions: The Toecutter

Gulysses3

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.jumpingoffthecliff.com
It still comes down to profit. Does super security add to profits or diminish them? If it's just extra expense to implement without a definite return on investment, I don't see it having a huge impact. Not to say it won't at some point, but I'm skeptical for now.

texastraveler

Reaction score
It still comes down to profit. Does super security add to profits or diminish them? If it's just extra expense to implement without a definite return on investment, I don't see it having a huge impact. Not to say it won't at some point, but I'm skeptical for now.

It depends on who you're asking those questions about. The groups with the greatest interest in mass surveillance are likely to be the type of organization with a near limitless budget. It doesn't cost much to field cameras, everything else is just I.T. infrastructure and the computers needed to run such a system. This thermal stuff just sounds like it's gonna be used against squatters and urbexers, but mass surveillance is a real and very scary thing. Any development and fielding of this technology can readily be tied into centralized hubs (i.e. fusion centers) using the existing infrastructure

Reactions: Tony G

ali

Reaction score
This topic has come up several times before on StP. For example News & Blogs - Anti-Surveillance Camouflage for Your Face - https://squattheplanet.com/threads/anti-surveillance-camouflage-for-your-face.20506/ and https://squattheplanet.com/threads/csx-installs-advanced-edd-with-cameras.40166/

I can't speak for developments in US private industry, but i lived in China, where a lot of this technology is developed and sees active use. Without a doubt, the tech is here to stay. It keeps getting more capable and cheaper year on year. However. In what has to be one of the world's most fiercely-surveiled countries, there are still homeless people. There are still criminals. There is still a shadow economy of people finding ways to escape the surveillance - everything from kids who just want to play more mobile games or spend more time watching short videos to hardened criminals who almost certainly have connections into the very same government departments and private security firms that are tasked with surveiling them. Oh, and there is a handful of human rights campaginers and activists in the mix too, although it's precisely those that the government most cares about tracking down and throwing in prison. Because in an actually authoritarian nation, turns out it's explicit anti-authoritarians who are the real concern of the powers that be, not so much the vagrants and criminals who implicitly try to stay under the radar.

The way i see it, technology marches on. There's no stopping it. People's idea of privacy and freedom will change as technology enables deeper monitoring. But technology doesn't only advance on one side. People will develop countermeasures, and then counter-countermeasues, and the arms race will continue. There are countless sci-fi books and movies about exactly this situation.

In any case, i think it's important to bear in mind the economic feasibility of any kind of surveillance technology. Sure, surveillance tech is already at the point where it can quickly detect trespassers, including at night. Maybe someday there will also be autonomous drones capable of not only navigating out to the trespasser but also restraining them until the police arrive, or at least shedding enough (literal) light on the situation to get a positive photo ID and report that on to the authorities. But you also gotta think, who is going to pay for all that? The government, who in most countries can barely afford to provide decent healthcare to their citizens? The same companies that fight tooth-and-nail to pay their employees as little as possible? I dunno. Unless your lifestyle is legitimately threatening people with power, or costing them a significant amount of money... why would they invest much in trying to catch you?

I suppose there is a case to be made that travelers might get caught up as collateral damage in a broader crackdown that's actually targeting a different group, and that's a topic worth discussing, especially if it's backed by the government. But i think those problems are more political than technical.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads