The word "Oi"

dprogram

Reaction score
I say OI to get someones attention. It's nothing more than "HEY!" but in punx speak. And I really don't care if anyone disapproves. Guess I could just say "Hey. You! In the black t-shirt and nasty ass jeans! Yeah You!. No Not you but YOU!" Oi is just easier.

slurricane

Reaction score
I say OI to get someones attention. It's nothing more than "HEY!" but in punx speak. And I really don't care if anyone disapproves. Guess I could just say "Hey. You! In the black t-shirt and nasty ass jeans! Yeah You!. No Not you but YOU!" Oi is just easier.
but if you yell ANYTHING in a public setting EVERYONE will look anyway.

Reactions: Sydney

Sydney

Reaction score
Website
www.sunnywar.com
Like the engineer said, its a skinhead term. Punk and skinheads have been a love, hate relationship through the years. Weather we like it or not punk and skinhead culture are so far apart, but so close in other ways. Many times I've had blacks confuse punks with skinheads. I'm sure most of you have heard of "oi punk". Like others said its a part of the culture, and I personally no longer relate the word to skinheads.
Lets not forget the true history of skinheads. There are "good" skins out there, traditional skins of every race. I know black, brown and white skinheads that listen to ska and are just working class traditional skins.

Reactions: todd and soapybum

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
many of the first traditional skinheads were jamaican rudeboys, very dark.
I don't think you could be further from the truth. I'm pretty well absorbed into Jamaican history and culture and I've never read or seen such a thing. The only reference I can think of you may be drawing this from is the song "Crazy Baldheads" by Bob or possibly searching Wikipedia for the word skinhead. Niether of which confirm what you're claiming. The Bob song isn't addressing skinheads by any means, more so those stiff necked fools, suits and ties, government, etc. The Wiki reference to skinheads and rudeboys was stating that in the earlier days skinheads were interested in the rudeboy style and culture, before reggae music itself became more focussed on black nationalism and the Rastafari movement(which basically boils down to- once it embraced color, they washed their hands of it). Maybe I'm all wrong, maybe you're citing many other references all together and I'm not as schooled on the subject as I thought, if so enlighten me please, because I had no idea rudeboys were some or "many of the first traditional skinheads"

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
when i see snooty fuck tards i usually walk the other way............ rest of rant deleted
Bryan, CSX1037, Could you two pause this about 4-5 minutes? I'd like to get some popcorn but I don't wanna miss anything.

CooperBoo

Reaction score
nice.... kinda silly..kinda dumb.. but also a relevant thread........ yeah i guess it's just like any other "culturally exclusive"(?) word......on one hand it's like "oh god, these fuckin oogly crusttards wont stop OIing at me" but on the other handit kinda helps identify folks in our culture.... i dunno, i think it's kind of cool to have words and phrases that are sort of exclusive to us........ as much as the rainbow kid talk annoys me i think it's cool that folks have a verbal culture....and with the train riding community i think its cool to have words that can help let folks know that your "in the scene"... as much as i might crack jokes on "oi" and carharts and face tats and shit...when i see some travelin folk i'll say "oi....whats up"......it's nice to be a part of a scene/culture....... same with a rag on yer neck...it actually kinda sux tho..cuz wearin a rag seems to be pretty hip these days.... i'll see somebody witta backpack and bandana around their neck and be like "oh hey, you on the rails too dood?" and they look at me like im a idiot................................basically my dumb point is..... our culture is just that ...a culture... and as much as i like to poke fun at the crusty travelin kid stereotypes....it's nice to have our own terms and words and jokes and shit.... OI
ya drunk right now?

Reactions: dprogram

dprogram

Reaction score
Okay. like I said before. It's meant to somewhat of a term of a beckon. A call. A Ello. Get over the "term" you wankers!

slurricane

Reaction score
I don't think you could be further from the truth. I'm pretty well absorbed into Jamaican history and culture and I've never read or seen such a thing."
i mean by this jamaican rude boys living in the united kingdom, atleast i think they were of jamaican origin as if they'd moved to the united kingdom. they still kept their accents i know this much, my mother growing up was a trojan 'skinbird', i was always around these goups of people including some directly from the bahamas and the uk so i'm just laying down my first hand experience, i'm not an encyclopedia.

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
i'm just laying down my first hand experience, i'm not an encyclopedia.
No worries, not here to argue with ya, it was just news to me what you were stating. You look to be about mid to late 20's in age and your claim was "many of the first traditional skinheads were jamaican rudeboys". I guess when you put the word "first" in there I made the silly assumption you were talking about some of the first skinheads which were popping up in the 60's. I guess you meant the first ones you had a first hand experience in meeting, I don't know? Doesn't matter, silly topic is silly.

Sydney

Reaction score
Website
www.sunnywar.com
Read this!!!!! I don't know this guy, but I know a lot of black and Mexican skinheads in Cali, One I went to high school with. He was a Mexican skin and he even had an Oi band called The Bombshell boys. I also went to see The Business once and met and older (late 40's) black skinhead. But I see a lot of skins of every race when I go to certain ska or Oi shows. They've all been super cool and nice.
http://www.afropunk.com/profiles/blogs/an-oxymorons-dream-the-black

Reactions: todd and dprogram

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads