News & Blogs The Radioactive Man Who Returned To Fukushima To Feed The Animals

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
I rather thought that with the tsunami issues and other things that with the people gone (and high death toll) that it was the same with animals. Not so. This man is helping the many left behind.

The Radioactive Man Who Returned To Fukushima To Feed The Animals That Everyone Else Left Behind

6 days ago by Dovas

The untold human suffering and property damage left in the wake of the Fukushima disaster in Japan has been well-documented, but there’s another population that suffered greatly that few have discussed – the animals left behind in the radioactive exclusion zone. One man, however, hasn’t forgotten – 55-year-old Naoto Matsumura, a former construction worker who lives in the zone to care for its four-legged survivors.

He is known as the ‘guardian of Fukushima’s animals’ because of the work he does to feed the animals left behind by people in their rush to evacuate the government’s 12.5-mile exclusion zone. He is aware of the radiation he is subject to on a daily basis, but says that he “refuses to worry about it.” He does take steps, however, by only eating food imported into the zone.

See more about his work and what he has seen in the exclusion zone below!

Naoto Matsumura is the only human brave enough to live in Fukushima’s 12.5-mile exclusion zone
fukushima-radioactive-disaster-abandoned-animal-guardian-naoto-matsumura-5.jpg

He fled at first but returned to take care of the animals that were left behind
fukushima-radioactive-disaster-abandoned-animal-guardian-naoto-matsumura-14.jpg

He returned for his own animals at first, but realized that so many more needed his help, too
fukushima-radioactive-disaster-abandoned-animal-guardian-naoto-matsumura-21.jpg

Matsumura, who is 55 years old, knows that the radiation is harmful, but he “refuses to worry about it”
fukushima-radioactive-disaster-abandoned-animal-guardian-naoto-matsumura-19.jpg

“They also told me that I wouldn’t get sick for 30 or 40 years. I’ll most likely be dead by then anyway, so I couldn’t care less”
fukushima-radioactive-disaster-abandoned-animal-guardian-naoto-matsumura-13.jpg

Matsumura discovered that thousands of cows had died locked in barns
fukushima-radioactive-disaster-abandoned-animal-guardian-naoto-matsumura-2.jpg

fukushima-radioactive-disaster-abandoned-animal-guardian-naoto-matsumura-1.jpg

He also freed many animals that had been left chained up by their owners
fukushima-radioactive-disaster-abandoned-animal-guardian-naoto-matsumura-22.jpg

Many of them now rely on him for food
fukushima-radioactive-disaster-abandoned-animal-guardian-naoto-matsumura-6.jpg

The government has forbidden him from staying, but that doesn’t stop him either
fukushima-radioactive-disaster-abandoned-animal-guardian-naoto-matsumura-3.jpg

He started in 2011 and is still going strong 4 years later
fukushima-radioactive-disaster-abandoned-animal-guardian-naoto-matsumura-9.jpg

He relies solely on donations from supporters to work with and feed the animals
fukushima-radioactive-disaster-abandoned-animal-guardian-naoto-matsumura-16.jpg

His supporters are calling him the ‘guardian of Fukushima’s animals’
fukushima-radioactive-disaster-abandoned-animal-guardian-naoto-matsumura-7.jpg

The man clearly has a sense of humor as well
fukushima-radioactive-disaster-abandoned-animal-guardian-naoto-matsumura-18.jpg

fukushima-radioactive-disaster-abandoned-animal-guardian-naoto-matsumura-17.jpg

fukushima-radioactive-disaster-abandoned-animal-guardian-naoto-matsumura-11.jpg

http://www.boredpanda.com/fukushima-radioactive-disaster-abandoned-animal-guardian-naoto-matsumura/

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
This is an awesome human being.

drewski

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Wow, thank you so much for sharing this, Tude. What an awesome human being this dude is...I'd love to just chill with animals all day and feed 'em. I wouldn't care if I was surrounded by radiation either haha.

Flemmings

Reaction score
Another kickass thing tho think about is. since no one else seems to bother going back to the radioactive zone. He can "raid" old stores and homes for free electronics, dvds/blurays, games, books, clothes and whatnot. To be truthful, I envy this man. Almost complete freedom to do what he wants, and he gets to spend time with nature. IMO, this man is living THE perfect life (excluding slowing being poisoned by nuclear fallout).

Reactions: drewski

drewski

Banned
Reaction score
If you ask me he sould just let them take care of themselfes.
I'll let your bad spelling slide seeing as you're from Germany. I'm sure some of these animals could certainly take care of themselves to an extent, but dogs in particular are bred to be in contact with humans. It's probably true that these animals will die off quicker than most seeing as they're in a toxic environment, but they will die a whole lot happier and well fed thanks to this one selfless human being. Have a fucking heart dude, there's a lot to appreciate here...

E

etpyh

I'm sure some of these animals could certainly take care of themselves to an extent, but dogs in particular are bred to be in contact with humans. It's probably true that these animals will die off quicker than most seeing as they're in a toxic environment, but they will die a whole lot happier and well fed thanks to this one selfless human being. Have a fucking heart dude, there's a lot to appreciate here...
I wasn´t saying that he should leave the animals alone because they will die quicker there than somewhere else. I just don´t like that (those) animals are dependent from humans. I think he should have freed the chained up animals and leave.

drewski

Banned
Reaction score
You would have to be one asshole piece of shit to leave an animal tied up to starve to death.
Yeah, I would agree. This dude above, etpyh, said they should be freed but then left to fend on their own which is still a shitty and absolutely stupid thing to say. Domesticated animals depend on humans because they've been bred this way for many generations. I'm sure nearly all of these animals weren't wild before this guy came along and they depended on someone before the disaster happened. Either way, they would live a life of hell for the last years of their lives and this guy is awesome beyond words for taking care of these creatures.

Reactions: Odin

kecleon

Reaction score
This guy is awesome. I think a lot of the people who were evacuated thought they would be back within a few days as the Japanese government disgustingly lied and lied about the scale of things to save face. Otherwise I hope these people wouldn't have abandoned their cats and dogs and at least let the farm animals free to graze.

I've read about the people who live in the exclusion zone in Chernobyl since the melt down, most remain healthy into old age, i hope this guys around for a long time to come.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads