The Great Walk (New to StP)

Cornelius

Reaction score
My name is James, i'm 19 and new to Squat the Planet.

A friend and I are walking across the states and I'm here looking for some tips and maybe someone to talk to that has made any similar trips.

D

Deleted member 125

walking across the country huh? ide get some comfortable boots and wear them in nice and proper before i started that trip, blisters are an awful big bummer. are you funded well or planning to spange/fly signs along the way? either way i would suggest investing in trhe lightest weight gear you can afford.

schmutz

cooler than you
Reaction score
check out http://www.walkusa.org/ a friend of mine is about to do a 5000 mile walk across
america (that is his website)

scatwomb

Reaction score
I've done one (extra) long distance hike - the Idaho Centennial Trail. It's about 900 miles, which is much less than what you're talking about.

I will say that you better develop some badass calluses before you go. Even though I hiked a ton before my trip, blisters were a big issue. Also, towards the end my achilles tendon started to hurt, and still hurts occasionally to this day.

Also, break in your boots before you go. Bring an extra pair of tennis shoes or sandals (I actually forgot to do this and was stuck with only my Red Wing boots for 10 days in the beginning).

I would also work out quite a bit before you go. Strengthen your legs, core, and back.

What you're doing is quite an adventure, though. Definitely not something to take lightly.

Reactions: p4r4d0x

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads