Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
The 2014 National Geographic Photo Contest [10 photos]

http://twistedsifter.com/2014/09/the-2014-national-geographic-photo-contest/

The 2014 National Geographic Photo Contest is under way with entries being accepted until October 31, 2014. The Grand Prize Winner will receive $10,000 and a trip to National Geographic headquarters in Washington, D.C., to participate in the annual National Geographic Photography Seminar in January 2015. The First Place winner in each category (People, Placesand Nature) will each receive $2,500 and his/her winning photograph will be published in National Geographic magazine (contest rules here).

Last year the contest received more than 7,000 entries from over 150 countries and this year’s contest has already received almost 2,000 submissions! Our friends at Nat Geo have kindly shared some notable entries from this year’s contest. For all information and to see more, visit the official contest page.

1. Arctic Hi five
09_ng_photo_contest_2014-09-08_279767_nature.jpg

© Colin Mackenzie / National Geographic 2014 Photo Contest

Two Polar bear cubs full of adrenaline on iceflow in Svalbard. The mother was just trying to have a quiet stroll but the cubs were not having any of that. This was the male cub and he just was so entertaining to watch. Photo Location: Svalbard

2. Above Big Sur
12_ng_photo_contest_2014-09-10_279928_places.jpg

© Douglas Croft / National Geographic 2014 Photo Contest

I’d gone to Big Sur to watch the gray whale migration from the cliffs, but it was too foggy to even see the water. I decided to hike up the Baronda Trail to see if I could get above the fog. This view was my reward. Miles of lupine and blue skies. Outstanding! Photo Location: Big Sur, California

3. 20’000 Leagues Under The Sea
31_ng_photo_contest_2014-09-22_281326_people.jpg

© Marc Henauer / National Geographic 2014 Photo Contest

This picture show a genuine Industrial Diver System since 1895. It is part of the collection of an old retired diver who worked during the 1950s with this equipment in Lake Geneva.The equipment weighed 140 pounds and more air is supplied by a pump activated manually by two persons.The equipment is preserved in its original condition and works perfectly. This allowed us to try it in real conditions and achieve this photo. Photo Location: Geneva, Switzerland

4. Sunward
13_ng_photo_contest_2014-09-10_279938_nature.jpg

© Hasan Baglar / National Geographic 2014 Photo Contest

When the Mediterranean Mantis opened its wings, It seemed very impressive at the sunshine… Photo Location: Nicosia, Cyprus

5. Blue Agave
32_ng_photo_contest_2014-09-23_281419_nature.jpg

© Aaron Feinberg / National Geographic 2014 Photo Contest

Ah the Agave plant. Filled with amazing patterns and textures. This particular subject was a great find while visiting San Francisco. Using some fun techniques I was able to get the light just right and the dimensionality of the plant just popped! It is definitely fun to take a moment and get intimate with nature. Photo Location: San Francisco, CA

6. From the Sky
20_ng_photo_contest_2014-09-17_280621_nature.jpg

© Montse Grillo / National Geographic 2014 Photo Contest

On the coast of Tenerife in the Canary Islands, we have quite the selection of affectionate green turtles (Chelonia mydas). I find myself devoting much time to these curious creatures. This turtle was coming from the surface with the sun behind it, and the sunrays surrounding it gave it a special majesty. Tenerife( Canary Islands) Spain Canon 7D, Canon 8-15mm, Subal Housing, 2x Subtronic strobes. F22, Iso 200, 1/160. Photo location: Tenerife (Canary islands)

7. A tree dreaming
11_ng_photo_contest_2014-09-09_279822_nature.jpg

© Christian Spencer / National Geographic 2014 Photo Contest

In the Strezlecki desert of Australia a flock of galahs replenish on the only small water available at the base of this lonely tree. It’s a rare photo opportunity to get such a clear and symmetrical shot of these beautiful birds in flight in the middle of the desert. Photo Location: Strezlecki desert, Australia

8. Thunderdome
33_ng_photo_contest_2014-09-23_281442_places.jpg

© Aaron Feinberg / National Geographic 2014 Photo Contest

Nothing is more intense at Burning Man than the Thunderdome run by the Death Guild. Every night battles rage on inside this dome as combatants use foam bats to assault each other for 3-5 minutes while the crowd, often covering the whole dome, cheers on. Photo Location: Black Rock City, NV

9. Searching for Love
34_ng_photo_contest_2014-09-23_281491_nature.jpg

© Spencer Black / National Geographic 2014 Photo Contest

Blue Ghost Fireflies in Brevard, North Carolina. Blue Ghost fireflies are unique because they stay lit and only hover about a foot off the ground. Photo Location: Brevard, North Carolina

10. Dreamscape
01_ng_photo_contest_2014-09-02_279269_places.jpg

© Francesco Riccardo Iacomino / National Geographic 2014 Photo Contest

A stunning sunset painted the sky over the Jokulsarlon Glacer Lagoon in South Iceland. It was a typical cloudy day in the Icelandic summer. The day was not hoping for a nice sunset, but I still decided to go on the spot, hoping to finally see the sun once the same had left behind the clouds. When the sun went down, in fact the sky burned out in an incredible vanilla tone. The scene was so peaceful and placid, so I decided to capture it with a long exposure, to bring out the amazing sense of oniric peace that this amazing sunset created. It has been like living in a dream. Location: Jokulsarlon Glaier Lagoon, Iceland

visit National Geographic Photo Contest 2014 for more info​

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com

Dmac

Reaction score
wow, that second one was spectacular!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads