Taking new path.

dolittle

Reaction score
Hello, Eeveryone. My name is San. I chose the title, Dolittle in honer of a donkey I used to have. His primary occupation was to roam the pasture & look pretty. I miss the old boy.
I'm in my mid 40's with fading health & am miserable with life as I know it. A few yr's ago, I lost my family, savings, home & assets. When not in my rig, I currently live in motel rooms as I can't aford all the deposits & high rent. As a trucker, I make what SHOULD be a good living. But find it harder every year just to get by.
So... I'm trying to figure out the best way to be completely homeless b4 I loose my job, too.
My plan so far, {still working out details.} is to get another donkey & cart, load up some camping gear, clothing, & personal items and just start walking. Even with my failing health, I know a way to earn enough to feed me & my critters. That's about all I could do. But I'm not doing much more, now.
I'm sorta looking forward to that day. But mostly, I'm afraid. I've never been without the safty net of a steady income.
I REALLY want to know what Ppeople on this site think of my plan & do Yyou have suggestions?

thisisme

Reaction score
Hi San,
Welcome! my biggest recommendation, if youre worried about the lack of a safety net, would be get foodstamps! That way you can at least ease your mind on the fact that you'll never go hungry (even though thats pretty much impossible to do in this country!) Other than that alot of it is really just common sense. Go with it and have fun:)

E

Earth

I'm on a similar path... been a factory worker mst of my life and getting ready to be out in the cold real soon.

But for me the timing is good, as I have come to really hate the system which this country operates under.
Believe me, There's nothing like the feeling of being converted.

Thankfully, this time last year I was together with a younger woman who in a way showed me the ropes on how to get by - whether she realized it or not - because I listened to every word she said about life on the road.
Of course, she's long gone now - and thousands of miles away - but she needed to do what her heart told her,
and I can see that the same thing applies to you as well...

While I'm not too sure of the wisdom of having a donkey, I have a dog + 4 cats and they come before everything, except myself - because without me - they don't have a home.

You mention being a trucker - you own your own tractor - and if you do - are you blessed with having one with a sleeper cab??
Because I'm seriously considering going THAT route as a possible option once my gig ends, which should be just in time for Thanksgiving...

I wish I had some solid advice for you, but I don't as for what works for me - living a very natural almost vegan lifestyle (except for my cats and dog) would not work for most.............

In fact, I expect to be crucified for something I posted earlier regarding chosing starvation over KFC.

Good Luck Brother,
Respect..................................

dolittle

Reaction score
@Thiisme, no government assistance here. As a person who doesn't belive in "big government", I would find it Highly hypocritical to depend on the government for my income. No, I can feed myself, thank you. I just couldn't aford a car, computer, cell phn. That sort of thing. What scares me is being so completely alone on the road.
@Earth. No, I'm a company driver. And at this time, I would NOT recommend taking up trucking. The only way to make any kind of Real living at it is to push your self to the Max of your endurance, take risk you may not be comfortable with & be prepared to forefit your life at any moment Bacouse of weather, road conditions and/or other drivers. If a trucker drives "Reasonable & legal", they will make no living at it.
As for the donkey... I have a bit of experience at trail riding. Besides, I need something to pull my cart of belongings. I chose a donkey over a horse because donkeys are smaller, easyer to handle, have a better personallity & are cheaper to feed & maitain. They are just an all around BETTER draft animal for small loads. That AND I have a soft spot in my heart for even the meanest donkey I've ever known. A mule is stubern. Horses are snooty. But a donkey will be U'r best friend.

jjoshea

Reaction score
theres a new face to american poverty out there.this culture is trying to kill off its old poor mentally ill etc.being a vet i find it shameful,and years from now when our history will be read what will those folks say about our society? im at the point ofa complete anti goverment life style. if i can get over on em i will,without worry in conscience.a donkey,not a bad idea if youre in the wilderness although a mule would be better.hope to meet ya out there.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads