Taking my tablet? | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Taking my tablet?

Pepin

Reaction score
Awww, damn so you're out of the way. Well after a week or two in Florida I'm hoping my partner will still have a taste for the dirty vagabond life and will follow me to Arizona, and then California.

thapoet

Mr. Grizzly Bear bait
Reaction score
Yeah lemme know... Everyone I chat with is going the opposite direction that I wanna go. And since I ain't in a hurry I figured I'd just wait...

Pepin

Reaction score
I've lived everywhere from ME to FL to Iowa, so I'd really like to make it out west. I'll let you know if we are still down to travel after this trip.

Reactions: thapoet

eske silver

In Disguise
Reaction score
Bubble wrap!!

• Useful
Reactions: Pepin and thapoet

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I NEVER leave home without my Nexus 7... And my solar charger... Loaded with apps like GPS essentials, bike route planner, maps with me, and others that work offline... When I am walking its out like an iPod, all other times its in my back in the big inner compartment... I use a moko cover to protect it. Here it is on amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/MoKo-Google-New-Nexus-Case/dp/B00E4OKXPU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1382053918&sr=8-3&keywords=nexus 7 case

just wanted to chime in on this, i have this same case and it is excellent. the nexus 7 is the best tablet ever. if you're going to take it traveling with you, just wrap it in some shirts and put it in the middle of your pack with your other clothes. honestly, it's pretty hard to break, but im pretty careful, i don't let anyone sit on my pack, i don't hop a lot of trains on the fly, etc.

Reactions: Pepin

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Be careful who you let know you have it on the road. There are desperate people out there. Also never take something on the road that your not prepared to lose, shit happens all the time.

good advice! this is true for anything of value that you don't want stolen, just don't get flashy with it, and don't let people you don't know/trust know you have it.

briancray

Reaction score
Website
www.bikethe.us
I brought mine from DE to CO on a bike tour and only used it once. I was too afraid of it breaking. My advice is just use your phone and get a battery pack extender. You can charge the pack at most campground shelters or places with outside electrical outlets. You could also go the solar panel route, but that'd defeat the purpose imo of being light weight.

Joni

Reaction score
there is a rainbow gathering every year for those that are wintering over in FL. i have hit it up a couple times... good people out that way. it is usually in the Ocala National Forest. people start showing up in the fall and winter over in the woods through jan/feb. The gathering is in jan i believe. last i knew punk s were welcome, just be warned it is a 'hippie' kinda thing.

• Haha
Reactions: kidbob and Pepin

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
yeah the ocala gathering is one of the better ones... at least it was like 6-7 years ago.

FolkYouDad

Reaction score
I've met a couple kids with tabs, wrap it up in your sleeping bag and keep it towards the part of your pack thats against your pack and don't sit on it (obviously). you can still throw your shit just make sure you throw it outside facing down.

• Useful

rugburn

Reaction score
if i were you i wouldnt take it i my self have one that is covered in countless cracks its a miracle it still works and its the third tanlet ive gone through in the last year even though i pride myself in how well i treat my gear

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
if i were you i wouldnt take it i my self have one that is covered in countless cracks its a miracle it still works and its the third tanlet ive gone through in the last year even though i pride myself in how well i treat my gear

i don't know how people manage to break their shit so often. I've broken one ebook reader in the past 12 years and that was like 2 months ago. I say take your tablet, it's a great way to stay in touch with us. and, really, they're not that expensive.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads