Tablets and freelance writing

thdoctada

Reaction score
So, I was looking around the threads in this section and the making money section and did a few different searches and came up empty on this one. But would a cheap tablet and keyboard be sufficient to realistically attempt freelance writing while traveling? Or would a Chromebook be better? Or would I need a full on laptop? I should mention that I am a pretty avid writer and really want something bigger than a smartphone, if only for my personal projects. But I have no professional experience writing. What type of hardware do really need? Because I honestly just got my first tablet and I am starting to wonder if I even need to own a laptop anymore.

• Best of Luck!
Reactions: MetalBryan

MetalBryan

Reaction score
I didn't price it out, but I would think a keyboard for the tablet you already own is a good place to start. You can get closer to a full sized layout than you'd get with a chromebook. I had a netbook years ago, which is similar, and I loved it for writing. Inexpensive so less painful to replace compared to a laptop which is larger and in my experience more fragile. It did all the normal internet stuff too.

I got the basic model of a gaming laptop at the beginning of covid because I wanted to edit audio/video and kill time playing games. It's 30% of the space in my backpack. WHEN it breaks, I will not be replacing it. I think tablets have caught up with processing power to edit audio/video and maybe games aren't for travelers. Though I did give this kid a thumbs up on an Amtrak - he had his whole fucking gaming rig setup on an entire 4 person table in the observation car all day and I thought that was cool.

Reactions: Ynwdwndrr

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads