Street art Cities that are Traveler Friendly

VanScribed Goat

Reaction score
I do usps slaps from time to time around the touristy parts of downtown to make sure folks know there is an anarchist presence and for comrades to feel welcome haha. My favorite is on the strip and area surrounding the Alamo especially

A

AlwaysLost

Out here in San Antonio, there is a really strong graffiti art presence, I've got a few friends who are serious about it and slap shit up all over the place. I'm not sure if it's just because I know these streets well or if it is as dominant as it feels. Definitely worth hitting boots to the ground down here though. Downtown, Southside and various other places you'll see it around every corner. San Pedro near I-35 there is a whole stretch of buildings covered wall to wall, Southtown is the arts district. Virtually every interstate overpass and it's surrounding area has work on it. Slaps and an art jungle in areas between the jail and metro central. Not to mention the abundance of trains that stop all over the place begging for some decor :)

Thanks man!!

Irate Pirate

Reaction score
That is epic bro! I cant do anyhing like that yet lol, I think Shepard Fairey is my biggest influence Hes amazing but I prefer his Lichtenstein esque posters to the Obey thing. I'm bored with the repetitive image branding. But Ive leaned a lot from him and its like u said its art that any of us can do and you don't have to be rich to make it.

I may try to come there someday I'd love it yo have someone local to go out and hit spots with!

Hey sorry for my late response. I was out of town & purposely left my laptop at home (and only did very minimal stuff on my phone). I hear you on the Shepard Fairey stuff. Dude blew the fuck up a number of years ago with the whole Obey thing. Back in the day he had a warehouse space here in Providence and as far as I know mostly just made his Andre The Giant Has a posse stickers. Which obviously morphed into the Obey stuff. He made some pretty cool Andy Kaufman & Tony Clifton stickers in the late 90's/early 2000's. At least I think it was him. I remember Fort Thunder being covered in them for a minute. I'm not sure if I've seen anything by him that looks Lichtenstein-esque. Mostly just the "repetitive image branding" as you so concisely put it haha. I really like Lichtenstein though so I'll keep an eye out. If you're ever in the area hit me up & I'll show you around Providence. Keep at the artwork. Everyone starts out somewhere.

A

AlwaysLost

Hey sorry for my late response. I was out of town & purposely left my laptop at home (and only did very minimal stuff on my phone). I hear you on the Shepard Fairey stuff. Dude blew the fuck up a number of years ago with the whole Obey thing. Back in the day he had a warehouse space here in Providence and as far as I know mostly just made his Andre The Giant Has a posse stickers. Which obviously morphed into the Obey stuff. He made some pretty cool Andy Kaufman & Tony Clifton stickers in the late 90's/early 2000's. At least I think it was him. I remember Fort Thunder being covered in them for a minute. I'm not sure if I've seen anything by him that looks Lichtenstein-esque. Mostly just the "repetitive image branding" as you so concisely put it haha. I really like Lichtenstein though so I'll keep an eye out. If you're ever in the area hit me up & I'll show you around Providence. Keep at the artwork. Everyone starts out somewhere.

Thanks man I appreciate that. I will definitely try to make it to providence eventually. The lichtenstein stuff is fairly new and he didn't go full blown Roy. But there's a documentary somewhere where he talks about Roys influence especially with dots and texture. It's still very Shepherdifferent as well. I'll try and find the documentary and post it.

I just found Mr Brainwash. I think he's my favorite now! But Shepads methods are incredible too.

N

Notmyname

I'll see one nola. Of all the cities I've seen I think it fits best. It's like a whole different world there. Kinda reminded me of the hood in San Juan Puerto Rico. I've only been to nola during carnival season but in the 3 weeks leading up to Mardi gras they were super friendly to us travling folk. I've heard other times of year it's not so friendly. Like late January I heard a friend of a friend went to jail for sitting on the ground.

A

AlwaysLost

I'll see one nola. Of all the cities I've seen I think it fits best. It's like a whole different world there. Kinda reminded me of the hood in San Juan Puerto Rico. I've only been to nola during carnival season but in the 3 weeks leading up to Mardi gras they were super friendly to us travling folk. I've heard other times of year it's not so friendly. Like late January I heard a friend of a friend went to jail for sitting on the ground.

Yeah I want to go there but I've heard it can be hardcore.

N

Notmyname

Yeah I want to go there but I've heard it can be hardcore.
It can be. Nola eyeliner is a real thing. Just be wary who you schwill with and you should be fine. Lots of traincore kids there, and they like to party pretty rough. I made it out without a black eye but at least 10 of my friends were involved in situations like black eyes, split lips that shoulda had stitches, knives pulled, hit with brass knuckles, a gun pulled, a stolen dog, and someone got ran outta town. I had just got my pup though so I kept my nose pretty clean, but there's def plenty of drama if you want it haha

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads