STP is better than FB!

• Thread starter Deleted member 7149
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7149

Squat the planet is my new Facebook! I spend more time on this site than I do Facebook. I have more in common with everyday people, hitchhikers and train hoppers than I do with friends from the past or even relatives!!

Thx

Reaction score
LOL, at first I thought the title said: STP is better than the F.B.I. :D

Yes, I can relate much more to the members here than a number of other boards I've been to including two different political sites I have left from disgust.

Facebook... I can't think of anything with more potential that is just a big pile of cheese.

People don't really correspond much anymore, I used to send FB messages to folks, good friends apparently who don't even take the trouble to message in return.

When we were young, if we had two soup cans and a piece of string we'd sit up all night playing "walkie-talkie"

Nowadays old friends, best friends from 30 years ago, it's like pulling teeth to get them to correspond and God help them they ever break down and send an e-mail of their own volition...

"ME Generaton"... my 50-something friends are still in high school and have only regressed if anything...

Thx :)

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
LOL thx - I did the same double take on that FB. :D

• Haha
Reactions: Thx

Thx

Reaction score

Lol, sometimes with stealth camping I do feel like a secret agent or something. :cool:

In Nashville I camped in wealthy Belle Meade right next to a huge limestone mansion and directly across the street from the Belle Meade PD.

Stayed there a month and a half, buskered the downtown, never saw a soul at camp.

( A tip: When I hit a new town folks, I look in the classified Real Estate ads and find out where the rich people live and camp in their weeds, it's much nicer and above all much safer than congregating with all the other tramps and what cops aren't looking for they often don't see. No one expects you to tramp it in their ritzy town and you can often use people's suppositions to your advantage. Stay clean, stash your major gear and blend.)

Thx :cool:

bum4evr

Reaction score
"Stealth camping" - I never knew there was a term for that - but I totally agree - except I never specifically targeted rich people - I just wanted to find a place to sleep and a place to stash my gear that would not be discovered by other travelers. But if I was on the road, I normally kept all my gear with me and traveled as light as possible. And when I first arrived in a town, I needed place to sleep right away so I like to use dumpster enclosures - like for example a bank will have a dumpster surrounded by a brick enclosure and have a metal gate - so I push the dumpster forward enough to give me space to lay down my sleeping bag behind the dumpster.. the only problem is the dreaded "trash truck" that may show up at 5am - but those trash truck drivers were always friendly and never called the cops on me and were totally cool.

Not a permanent place to stay, but a dumpster enclosure can be a safe place to crash when you first arrive in a town and dont have time to scope out a better spot if you plan to stay in town a while.

Thx

Reaction score
"Stealth camping" - I never knew there was a term for that - but I totally agree - except I never specifically targeted rich people - I just wanted to find a place to sleep and a place to stash my gear that would not be discovered by other travelers. But if I was on the road, I normally kept all my gear with me and traveled as light as possible. And when I first arrived in a town, I needed place to sleep right away so I like to use dumpster enclosures - like for example a bank will have a dumpster surrounded by a brick enclosure and have a metal gate - so I push the dumpster forward enough to give me space to lay down my sleeping bag behind the dumpster.. the only problem is the dreaded "trash truck" that may show up at 5am - but those trash truck drivers were always friendly and never called the cops on me and were totally cool.

Not a permanent place to stay, but a dumpster enclosure can be a safe place to crash when you first arrive in a town and dont have time to scope out a better spot if you plan to stay in town a while.

Yeah, that's a good tip! :)

Also, Google Earth can be a great help to homeless, don't forget the "street cam mode" guys where you can take a virtual walk through town.

Thx :)

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
I use this feature a lot - I bicycle through the city for different things as well as looking for specific locations - and showing my fresh newbie freshman college students out of high school where they need to do their internships, etc (had to to talk to one of the little girl's parents today, oh my) - I pull it up all the time and decide - hmm do I want to go there or not.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com

me too!

Squat the planet is my new Facebook! I spend more time on this site than I do Facebook. I have more in common with everyday people, hitchhikers and train hoppers than I do with friends from the past or even relatives!!

thanks man, i appreciate the kinds words :)

also, i deleted my facebook account recently, so i feel ya on that too.

Reactions: eske silver

eske silver

In Disguise
Reaction score
i deleted my facebook account recently, so i feel ya on that too.

Same here. FB blows. This place is far more real, with no frills bullshit.
Ive made some really rad friends from this site.
Especially that one f*cker who came down to Oakland last week - if only for a bit ;)

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Same here. FB blows. This place is far more real, with no frills bullshit.
Ive made some really rad friends from this site.
Especially that one f*cker who came down to Oakland last week - if only for a bit ;)

Haha aww *blush*

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads