Starting Over

BrianC503

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
my name is brian, and i just turned 35. i am going to be leaving my home in oregon to meet new people and get out of my comfort zone a little bit. i have crossed america on bus twice, hiked a portion of the appalachian trail, and toured the west coast extensively, but i havent found the connections that im looking for. as for exactly what im looking for, i have no idea... i figure i will know when i find it, or that i will get beaten down by america and be forced to come home with my tail between my legs.

i look on craigslist all of the time to see if hippies travelling in an rv still exist, but it seems that craigslist is only a good place to find weirdos. i had some weird offers, so im done with that website. i enjoy browsing this site a lot more... you learn so much from reading other peoples experiences.

so if you want to say hi, then say hi. i dont know when im leaving... my guess is that im gonna take the first opportunity i can to get out of here.

cheers.

Maxx Power

Reaction score
Welcome! I left from Bend and I've had a blast so far. Made it all the way to Pheonix, AZ by myself! I love Oregon, I hope to live there when I'm done traveling. What part are you leaving from?

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
You guys chiming in are way cool. Should be a great traveling time for all I think - and also welcome!!! And have fun!!

talwhya

Reaction score
People are the same all over my friend, many people leave their homes to find something they think they lack, and then travel becomes an addiction. like always go go go, next town, next state, maybe there will be something new. I dont think there are any answers on the road anymore... but a comfort zone can be a wonderful place... Ive been gone from home so long when I returned it ceased to be a home, and sometimes I wish I had never left. I think as we get older friendships naturally get more and more distant, and the only connection that should matter is the one with our partner, and that we should be concentrating on building ourselves up so that we can be brave enough to recognize and seek out our potential partner in the crowd. Till then, if youre feeling lost or feeling like youre going crazy in one place, thats good because it means that youre too intelligent and sensitive to blend in with the meaningless shit of modern day life, and we need those people to be strong enough to stick around and try to change the cycle of consumer violence. I think people like that should consider their loneliness a sign that they are alive and that they know a little something about whats going on. I dont thin kyou can find meaning trying to connect with other lost souls, but you may find it trying to connect with yourself again, learning about the world, history, the future. Fight rather than flight means that if you cut through the present the future leaks out.

Octavio Paz says
“Solitude is the profoundest fact of the human condition. Man is the only being who knows he is alone, and the only one who seeks out another. His nature - if that word can be used in reference to man, who has ‘invented’ himself by saying ‘no’ to nature - consists in his longing to realize himself in another. Man is nostalgia and a search for communion. Therefore, when he is aware of himself he is aware of his lack of another, that is, of his solitude.”

drewski

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I know what you mean about Craigslist, but don't give up on that site. It will help you when you can't find something on here and vice versa. There's weirdos all over the place even on here haha. Craigslist helped me out in a lot of situations and the weird experiences were in the minority. Stay strong brotha and nice beard btw ::drinkingbuddy::

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
People are the same all over my friend, many people leave their homes to find something they think they lack, and then travel becomes an addiction. like always go go go, next town, next state, maybe there will be something new. I dont think there are any answers on the road anymore... but a comfort zone can be a wonderful place... Ive been gone from home so long when I returned it ceased to be a home, and sometimes I wish I had never left. I think as we get older friendships naturally get more and more distant, and the only connection that should matter is the one with our partner, and that we should be concentrating on building ourselves up so that we can be brave enough to recognize and seek out our potential partner in the crowd. Till then, if youre feeling lost or feeling like youre going crazy in one place, thats good because it means that youre too intelligent and sensitive to blend in with the meaningless shit of modern day life, and we need those people to be strong enough to stick around and try to change the cycle of consumer violence. I think people like that should consider their loneliness a sign that they are alive and that they know a little something about whats going on. I dont thin kyou can find meaning trying to connect with other lost souls, but you may find it trying to connect with yourself again, learning about the world, history, the future. Fight rather than flight means that if you cut through the present the future leaks out.

Girl - with that I wish there was an emoticon that gave you points cause I would give it. What you said was great.

Octavio Paz says
“Solitude is the profoundest fact of the human condition. Man is the only being who knows he is alone, and the only one who seeks out another. His nature - if that word can be used in reference to man, who has ‘invented’ himself by saying ‘no’ to nature - consists in his longing to realize himself in another. Man is nostalgia and a search for communion. Therefore, when he is aware of himself he is aware of his lack of another, that is, of his solitude.”

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads