Starting a Nation

West

Squatter Fodder
Reaction score
I'd like to know more! I read a thread by mmmichael I think, talking about the possibility of building an StP waystation by purchasing a private island, and I figured why not form a wanderpunk/traveler nation? Would you be able to do this on the mainland? Would local/federal authorities recognize it as a nationality?

NocturnalJoe

Reaction score
From what I know about the law, and from some personal experience. Yes its possible if you have ( claim ) some land and serval people involved. One can claim abandoned land ( like BLM land ) by sending out public notices, after at least 3 notices, it becomes yours via silence acquenience ( bad spelling sorry ). The u.s. government foes honor and respects it as long as its done right, and within the law. However it does mean giving up your citizenship to the United States.

West

Squatter Fodder
Reaction score
Has this ever happened? Can someone visit the mini-nation without revoking their US citizenship? There are some serious requirements involved are there not?

Traveler

Reaction score
The idea of claiming land for something like this is really cool but surely the US has strong feelings about this?

NocturnalJoe

Reaction score
Umm the basics of it would be to find some abandoned land, get as much info on the land as possible like GPS coordinates, ect and post a public notice of abandoned land, asking anyone who owns the land to come forward with proof of ownership. If after 3 public notices no one comes forward as the owner, you can then issue a writ of seizure and adoial ownership.

• Useful
Reactions: Joshicus and West

Thrasymachus

Reaction score
You don't build a community, a tribe or a nation, either you are born into one or you aren't. So many people have failed with so many different communes and intentional communities using every permutation possible.

Traveler

Reaction score

Thrasymachus

Reaction score
Uhhh...... NNNNNNOOOOOOOO!!!!!
From the very source you gave:
Micronation wiki said:
Woodland Patchwork in Japan

Population 5

... Founded on the Japanese archipelago, The Patch declared independence from Japan on October 23rd, 2013. ...

Woodland Patchwork is united by 7 counties that each have a form of autonomy. The leader or leaders of a Country are the Count Chiefs. Count Chiefs form the house of Counts in the Patchwork government. ...

It has barely been around for months, it has huge sprawling territory but a puny population of five according to the very source you gave. It definitely looks like a project that will never amount to much besides updating some wikis with contact info that no-one will be able to reach like almost all such projects.

West

Squatter Fodder
Reaction score
Doesn't mean it can't be done... there are a number of successful communes/"micronations" worldwide. You're right, it's statistically unlikely but maybe you should say that instead of saying it "can't happen"

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads