Stagnation and The Never-ending Existential Crisis | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Stagnation and The Never-ending Existential Crisis

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
there are a small number of people here who truly lack dependence.

whats wrong with dependence....?

Far as I can tell everything else is dep\endent on everything else...

everythiung

D

deleted user

whats wrong with dependence....?

Far as I can tell everything else is dep\endent on everything else...

everythiung
nothing is wrong with it, I just wanted to bring the reality out, like William and just another person were doing. (I think)

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
iyea I'm just grumpy cuz my right side rib cage feels like crushed chicklets... errr.... you are right though... call it pure independence or survival skills in the wild... it's that ... still... if I wanna catch a fish its not all up to me... seasons, river pollution, and innumerable factors like the seasonal spirits of yore... lol...
or even just me babbling instead of fishing.

D

deleted user

iyea I'm just grumpy cuz my right side rib cage feels like crushed chicklets... errr.... you are right though... call it pure independence or survival skills in the wild... it's that ... still... if I wanna catch a fish its not all up to me... seasons, river pollution, and innumerable factors like the seasonal spirits of yore... lol...
or even just me babbling instead of fishing.
yes, but if you're the one catching fish and you're without power by traditional means, and your life functions without ever having to step foot into the real world, then you are truly independent. from society, anyway.

but, a lot of us hitchhike, train hop, fly signs, and buy supplies, and yanno, exist vicariously through society.

William Howard 2

Reaction score
yeah, but innately, the way many of us live would not exist if you take society out of the picture, indicating that many of us are entirely dependent on society.

examples are the entire site, practically. we hitchhike, hop trains, and get handouts constantly. there are a small number of people here who truly lack dependence.
Just been thinking about a story from St. Augustine. He wrote about an encounter between a pirate and king Alexander. The pirate was captured by Alexander's troops and put on trial. The king called him a common thief, to which the pirate replied "that may be so, but I am a small thief and you call me a pirate. You plunder the whole world and they call you king".

I think what is concerning me is how we group two distinctly different lifestyles under the same idea of dependency. For instance in ancient Greece, they had different names to describe different types of love. Giving dependency a univocal definition, for me, almost does a injustice to the poor, and I'm afraid of the long term consequences that such a thinking can do to a culture.
Dependency is not just a word, but also includes a negative connotation and attitude. I think what I'm trying to do is make a "noble lie" by portraying something in a false way in order to make it more truthful.

I sympathize with the pirate. Though we do take from others, we take but a little, just enough to survive. I think that in itself warrants another category different from those who take in excess.

D

deleted user

Just been thinking about a story from St. Augustine. He wrote about an encounter between a pirate and king Alexander. The pirate was captured by Alexander's troops and put on trial. The king called him a common thief, to which the pirate replied "that may be so, but I am a small thief and you call me a pirate. You plunder the whole world and they call you king".

I think what is concerning me is how we group two distinctly different lifestyles under the same idea of dependency. For instance in ancient Greece, they had different names to describe different types of love. Giving dependency a univocal definition, for me, almost does a injustice to the poor, and I'm afraid of the long term consequences that such a thinking can do to a culture.
Dependency is not just a word, but also includes a negative connotation and attitude. I think what I'm trying to do is make a "noble lie" by portraying something in a false way in order to make it more truthful.

I sympathize with the pirate. Though we do take from others, we take but a little, just enough to survive. I think that in itself warrants another category different from those who take in excess.
I agree there. but, in true definition, we are dependent, to an extent, just another form.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads