News & Blogs Springfield, Missouri being shitty to homeless.

Zeke42

Reaction score
http://www.news-leader.com/article/...less-camp-evacuated-rushefsky-burris-williams

bilde?Site=DO&Date=20140129&Category=NEWS01&ArtNo=301290031&Ref=AR&MaxW=600&Border=0.jpg

'Dawg' moves his belongings from the camp he shared with his girlfriend on Tuesday. He said he was packing everything up because he heard that the homeless were being forced out of their camps.

A City Council member and advocates are asking why several homeless residents were forced out of their camps Tuesday.

While advocates believe there’s been an orchestrated effort to crack down, police say it was an isolated call, and a councilwoman wants to know who’s behind it.

What remains unclear is who is telling homeless individuals in nearby camps that they must leave.

Police say they responded to a complaint on city property, near the intersection of College Street and Main Avenue, and found two people trespassing. Those two were told to leave and a public works crew cleaned up the area, according to spokeswoman Lisa Cox.

However, at least three other nearby camps on private property were evacuated Tuesday, according to advocates.

“I was at the (Veterans Coming Home Center), and a call came over that we had to get out of the camps,” said a man who goes only by the name “Dawg.” “I only had a few moments to get my things.”

The man was clearing out his things from a camp northwest of the area to which police responded. He said he received permission to keep his possessions in the basement of the Veterans Coming Home Center for a night and would stay at a cold-weather shelter.

Councilwoman Cindy Rushefsky emailed City Manager Greg Burris and Police Chief Paul Williams to ask about the camps.

“Was there a problem with these camps other than their existence?” she asked in the email. “It may be railroad property but I’d like to know who is giving the order if it’s coming from the city.”

In the email chain, police explain that they responded to an area that was “clearly marked ‘No Trespassing’ and ‘No Dumping’ and fenced off,” and that two people were issued citations for trespassing, were given time to gather their items and were given information on warming shelters and resources.

Heather Kennedy, a homeless advocate, was assisting people Tuesday as they tried to find places to move their possessions.

“We’re trying to gather up all the tents, tarps and blankets,” she said. “So we don’t have to find donations to replace them.”

Dennis Coad and Faye Estepp, two other advocates, spent most of the day trying to help people who lived in the camps. Coad said he had a space that could serve as temporary shelter, and Estepp was housing a couple she knew.

Coad said he was trying to find good, secluded spaces outside city limits for people to stay, but acknowledged that it’s beneficial for homeless individuals to be within walking distance of services they use.

Advocates said it’s common for homeless people to have to move because they’ve been forced out.

Dawg said he’s lived all over the country and has been told to leave camps on many occasions.

“There’s an idea of the homeless that we’re all alcoholics or drug addicts,” he said. “I’m not involved in any of that. I’m just trying to survive.”

Kennedy said many people in the homeless community talk about the crackdown on a camp near Kearney Street and Glenstone Avenue in 2012.

In that incident, 17 people were arrested after being given 24 hours to clear out of a camp.

Rushefsky said she got a call from a local advocate Tuesday alerting her that homeless camps were being shut down, so she started asking questions.

Advocates were frustrated with the timing of the crackdown — a day after City Council passed an ordinance restricting panhandling and on a day with especially cold temperatures.

“If this is the way we handle the homeless community in Springfield, it’s pretty appalling,” Rushefsky said.

Last edited by a moderator:

DuHastMich

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I lived in Springfield for over a year, and was homeless 98% of that time. The police are fuckwads that really couldn't care less about much other than themselves. They'll run up on a vagrant homeless dude or chick and shake them down out of boredom.

Selsharesthan

Reaction score
Screenshot_2015-06-25-07-59-14.png
I have lived in Springfield for 15 years, and have been homeless for all of it, so I know that the area this guy was staying in is right across the street from a metal recycling plant and right beside an area slated to become a public park. The problem with most of the homeless in this city is that they don't really try to keep out of sight. This city has an abundance of well hidden locations to camp. Everyone just wants to be in the downtown area instead of spreading out. Less than a half mile from where he was staying, there is an unfinished Ozark Greenways path he could have relocated to. There are also places along every piece of railway in the city. I don't like the police either, but if people try a bit harder to stay low key, they shouldn't have a problem.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads