Solar Power!!!!! | Squat the Planet

Solar Power!!!!!

Raven1998

Reaction score
Hellooo I was wondering if any one on here could help explain some things to me about Solar power! I have been interested in getting a panel, deep cycle battery and inverter to make my own Solar Generator set up but I am still confused about some things. I have read a couple guides but still dont really know how long its gonna take to charge, and how long I can run simple electronics like lights and my laptop. Here are some specs on a set up I have found

30W Mono-crystalline Solar Panel With a 12V solar charge controller

Power (Pmax) : 30W
Maximum power voltage ( Vpm ) : 17.5V ;Maximum Power Current: 1.68A
Cable lengths : 12.5'
Open circuit voltage ( Voc ) : 21.95V
Charge controller prevents overcharging of 12-volt batteries

Inverter:
Cobra CPI 480 400-Watt 12-Volt DC to 120-Volt AC Power Inverter with 5-Volt USB Output
400 W Continuous Power Handling
5v USB output
2 Grounded AC Receptacles
Thermal Shutdown and Reverse Polarity Protection

Battery:
Werker WKDC12 - 55P
12v
55Ah
AGM Deep Cycle
Non-spillable

If I had this set up how long might it take for the deep cycle battery to charge fully? If I was running say just a 50w light how long would I have to use it? I have read information answering these questions before, but the answers are usually a bunch of numbers and math that I get confused by and am left with no real answer.

Does anyone have a solar set up in there mobile home? How long does it last for you, what do you use it to power, how long does it take to recharge?

Thanks for all the help!

Raven1998

Reaction score
I have also been looking into repurposed solar power. It turns out you can collect a bunch of little solar lights or crank flashlights and solder them to make little usb chargers. The Solar lights are already set up to recharge AA and AAA batteries!

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
hey there I'm going to move this into "electronics and other Gadgets" where there are a few posts in there about solar power. :)

Van Kamp

Reaction score
I suggest two six volt golf cart batteries. You can add more batteries for a larger reserve.
Panels and equipment. I can't comment on prices.
http://www.altestore.com/store/Solar-Panels/c541/

Will you be installing this equipment in a mobile set up or a more permanent home?

https://www.google.com/search?q=lawn mower battery charger homemade&client=firefox-a&hs=5dm&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&channel=sb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=FRC-U5eiNsShyASJk4LwAw&ved=0CDAQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=657

Use a ford alternator and you dump like 60 amps, you can find the how to on-line.

Edit
Do not use car batteries for a full time install.
walmart is not a good choice for batteries, they do not like to honor warranty on any of their batteries any more!!!

Last edited:

Raven1998

Reaction score
Thanks Ive been reading up on it a good deal and have a much better idea on how the whole thing comes together. The cheaprvliving site helped a buch.

D

Deleted member 2626

i just ordered a phone charger solar panel on amazon last week. 70 bucks, 14w Less charging-which I'm no slave to a phone anyway, dead battery? oh well. But I hope to use it for a fire tower job

JoesphMal

Reaction score
i just ordered a phone charger solar panels on amazon last week. 70 bucks, 14w Less charging-which I'm no slave to a phone anyway, dead battery? oh well. But I hope to use it for a fire tower job
Hello friend can you share out a true review about the charger? Well I am looking to get similar device for vocations.. Hope you will reply..

Last edited:

DonnyDerelict

Reaction score
You know, I picked a Goal Zero "Nomad 7" and "Guide 10", and they worked really well for me. Former is a solar panel, latter is a recharge station for 4 AA batteries. The guide 10 acts as a charge tank, and it's kind of pointless to get the panel without also getting the little battery thing. Carried it til it was stolen along with a bunch of my shit in Orlando. Keep in mind that my only device to power was my phone.

Reactions: DoctorApocalypse

DoctorApocalypse

Your friendly neighborhood supervillain
Reaction score
You know, I picked a Goal Zero "Nomad 7" and "Guide 10", and they worked really well for me. Former is a solar panel, latter is a recharge station for 4 AA batteries. The guide 10 acts as a charge tank, and it's kind of pointless to get the panel without also getting the little battery thing. Carried it til it was stolen along with a bunch of my shit in Orlando. Keep in mind that my only device to power was my phone.

I've also got the Goal Zero Nomad 7 and Guide 10 (they call it the Adventure 10 kit), and it does kick ass. It's kept my phone charged on many trains and other adventures. You can charge a phone directly from the panel but only under full sun, the battery pack however will charge from the panel in partial sun or cloudy conditions (just will take longer) and then you can charge a phone from the battery pack once it's charged.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads