Snow-birding locations in the summer

Batsy

Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
I drove up to Portland to get away from the heat of the Bay Area only to find myself in an intense heat wave out here as well. I assumed that since Portland is so father north that it would be cooler.

Once I’m able to move again, what are some good areas to go to in the western US that stay around the 70s or lower in the summer?

And how can I do a better job of finding places like this myself?

Thanks for any help

Reactions: Tony G

Sameer

Reaction score
It's actually not so much about heading north as it is about altitude. A good example is Flagstaff Arizona at above 7,000 ft. Most cool temperatures during the summer are found at higher elevations. For the summer we go to Flagstaff and sometimes Colorado or Utah because we can reach higher elevations in those States. Above 5,000 ft or higher is best and most northern places. So combine elevation with Northern destinations.

Reactions: Otter

texastraveler

Reaction score
I'm in the Sierras in southern California. There's still a ton of snow above 7,000 feet but it's rapidly receding. Just keep an eye on snowfall throughout winter and then keep tabs on the snow levels or temperatures in some high-altitude areas. Idk about snowboarding up here though, it's cross-country/snowshoeing country

texastraveler

Reaction score
tree cover helps, too. here there's a bunch if BIG trees with a relatively open understory, the shade preserves the snow but it's still pretty navigable

Down and Out

-Dank- Down and Out press
Banned
Reaction score
Website
downandoutpress.org
I drove up to Portland to get away from the heat of the Bay Area only to find myself in an intense heat wave out here as well. I assumed that since Portland is so father north that it would be cooler.

Once I’m able to move again, what are some good areas to go to in the western US that stay around the 70s or lower in the summer?

Thanks for any help

no nowhere not even a mountain top will stay under 70. Anything short of MT McKinley in Alaska 22,000ft. If you want to snowboard or get cold weather during the summer in the north the only way to do it is to not be north and go far south like super far south to the other side of the equator where its winter. Peru or southern south America about it. And Shasta has some snow year round most years but its not necessarily cold just catches a lot of coastal moisture. --

Batsy

Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
So to clarify, i meant to type “snow-birding locations” not “snowboarding”. That was a typo lol

I’m not looking for snow. I’m looking for weather that isn’t super hot. Like I mentioned earlier, the 60’s and 70’s during the daytime are most comfortable for me.

numberonenumberreader

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
I sure do enjoy the Seattle area for summer. Idk if it’s the best or coldest but it sure is comfy. You got a ton of cool places nearby to go fuck around with like Leavenworth(maybe Wenatchee) port Angeles and Bellingham . Doubt you’re gonna be going anywhere in the 48 that’s hitting 60 n 70 highs for summer. Hopefully someone comes along and gives a perfect answer cause I’d like to know as well😂

Idk what the punk scene is like but I’m sure it’s decent.

Tobiko

Reaction score
besides the expected heat waves that seem to be the new normal out west, arent the highs in the Bay Area usually in the 70s? Is punk scene decent there lately? I usually post up in the bay when too hot everywhere else

happy hobo

Reaction score

Thanks for any help

Hey, so Reno can get pretty hot but less than 20 miles west just across the California border are several cooler (higher elevation) and beautiful boondocking spots up by Crystal Peak or above Lake Tahoe. Reno is a good city for food pantry and water access. Use iOverlander.com or (somewhat less accurate) free campsites.net to find spots. Also lots of places just out of town around Missoula, MT. Good luck!

pseudo

Reaction score
The windy.com app is really good. It has lots of layers, including temps and you can zoom out on the map and get an overall picture of temperatures over any size area and scroll over the timeline to see how they're expected to change over the next few days

MetalBryan

Reaction score
One of the reasons I left the west coast this spring is because summer is supposed to be brutal this year. El Nino system something something. Please refer to smarter people if you want to know what that's about, but I'd like to offer my remedy for the heat. I call it "poor folk's air conditioning".

I discovered that the menthol based pain relief spray I use for my back is also good as a topical body spray to keep cool for about an hour. Spray is better than creams because it won't stick to your clothing as much and dries quickly. I apply it lightly to my torso, neck, legs, and back. Allow it to dry before dressing yourself if you can (holding your clothes "open" while you're wearing them works okay too). Sometimes I do two applications before dressing. When combined with walking or cycling it is VERY effective at keeping cooler.

DO NOT SPRAY IN YOUR FACE OR EARS
DO NOT SPRAY IN YOUR BUM
DO NOT SPRAY ON YOUR NAUGHTY BITS

Here's a few examples, but CVS/Walgreens have their own generics for less.
biofreeze.com/#products - industry standard. the "chiropractor grade" is the best. Also, most expensive.
tigerbalm.com/us/products/tiger-balm-active-muscle-spray/ - another version. Tiger balm is to Biofreeze as Coke is to Pepsi.
jrwatkins.com/products/liniment-pain-relieving-spray-original - I like this alternative. Not as strong but much less expensive.

• Useful
Reactions: Batsy

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads