SHITCORE 4 LIFE!!!

roguetrader

Reaction score
you mean Merzbow / Whitehouse electronic noise / power violence / industrial type 'music' OR Fear of God / Napalm Deatn guitar based noise OR some other kind of noise altogether ???

define your terms and then I can say yes or no ! maybe list a couple of your favorites from the scene ???

Reactions: Batsy

Older Than Dirt

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
You kids.

Noise is so retro- tonality been dead, son. HNW, PE, "power violence"- meh.

Back when i was into that kind of stuff in the early '80s, i had my Kawai synth droning, with my Farfisa Combo-Compact organ with a giant like 9-note dissonant chord taped down with duct tape, run through a couple fuzz boxes and delays, and a couple mic feedback-through-fx-to-shitty-guitar-amp loops going.

The old lady from upstairs came pounding on the door of my LES storefront, screaming about the noise. When i told her i was just playing music, she replied "Ain't no music, and you ain't got no license from the city to run no machine shop in there!" One of my favorite reviews of my music career.

Anyway, some old-school noise, back when we thought it should have structure:

Last edited:
Reactions: manzo and maggot

train in vain

Reaction score

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
noise is not music.

train in vain

Reaction score
Black Dice and Albert Ayler baby!
Fuck yeah i got into albert ayler around 96 when lee and thurston from sonic youth were talking about him. I had already been listening to coltrane for a year or so and some other jazz. Werent too many teens around listening to that shit in those days haha. With an equally strong love of morbid angel and kraftwerk. 😂

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
stop music facism ! get drunk

look, i know most 'noise fans' get super offended when i say noise isn't music, but it's not.

"The art of arranging sounds in time so as to produce a continuous, unified, and evocative composition, as through melody, harmony, rhythm, and timbre." literally the definition of music.

Noise (in most contexts that we are speaking of) has no pattern, or structure. Noise is random. No one has ever said, "I can't wait for so and so noise band to play track 5 from their first album at the live concert tonight." That's because it's impossible to reproduce, so therefore, it is not music.

I'm not saying you can't have elements of noise in music, (just look at industrial, rock bands like sonic youth, etc) but alone it is not music.

I understand you might like the sound of random shit being blasted into your eardrum, but i do not. My personal opinion is that noise 'music' is for hipsters and pseudo intellectuals. That is my personal opinion, please don't crucify me over it.

I'm not going to stop you from posting about it or discussing it, I'm just chiming in with my opinion that is unlikely to change and I'm not going to bother you about it anymore.

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
No one has ever said, "I can't wait for so and so noise band to play track 5 from their first album at the live concert tonight." That's because it's impossible to reproduce, so therefore, it is not music.

Hard disagree. Just look at Caroliner, Sun City Girls, Fat Worm Of Error, Boredoms, wolf eyes and several bands already mentioned here. They all have many "noise arrangements" that are almost identical to the album versions when played live. Classical composers also make noise pieces where the sheet music consists of several equations with variables that change depending on the performance. Just because it sounds totally random to you doesn't mean it is.

Whatever though, if you don't like it no one's making you listen.

Last edited:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads