Shimano Recall | Squat the Planet

Shimano Recall

ResistMuchObeyLittle

Reaction score
So, I got my bike off of Craigslist. Its a mid 90's. After doing some research last year I found out that Shimano did a recall on their cranks and derailleurs from that time period. I ended up taking my bike to the shop and to this day Shimano is still recognizing the recall and replaced all of my old parts. What a cool company man.
Ready to roll now.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190406-171900~2.png
    Screenshot_20190406-171900~2.png
    626.1 KB · Views: 319
  • Screenshot_20190406-171926~2.png
    Screenshot_20190406-171926~2.png
    776.3 KB · Views: 357
D

Deleted member 8978

They make damn good crankshafts, gear shifters, and cassettes (the gear system you mount on to the wheel). The other companies need to learn how Shimano delivers good service, especially when handling recalls.

• Agree
Reactions: Juan Derlust

Gypsybones

Reaction score
Website
highonwheels.tumblr.com
They make damn good crankshafts, gear shifters, and cassettes (the gear system you mount on to the wheel). The other companies need to learn how Shimano delivers good service, especially when handling recalls.

Only if you get top of the line shimano, cause they make a lot of junk.
If you have the money, buy campy! Their bottom of the barrel is on par with shimano’s ultegra and dura ace

ResistMuchObeyLittle

Reaction score
  • Useful
Reactions: roughdraft

Mrcharwe

Reaction score
I've read from quite a few people who've bike toured around the world and both recommended shimano alivio and deore due to the price. They both said that it's way easier to get than the more expensive Shimano parts. I'm happy either way. Still Can't believe they hooked it up so good.

The Bike that went Around the World | GearJunkie - https://gearjunkie.com/world-bike-touring-gear-test

https://www.nicolasmarino.com/en/ar...-ever-wanted-to-know-about-bicycle-gear-kb5ew

I agree with this. Most of the high end parts are made for racing and they care more about weight than durability. The middle level parts are made of steel and seem to last much longer. I think a lot of the new technologies are not as good as the older ones when it comes to touring also. Like bottom brackets, the old shimano square taper bottom brackets last for the life of the bike, the new hollow tech and external bottom brackets seem to have a bearing fail every 2-4k miles. I just replaced a external BB with square taper after replacing my second bearing in 5k miles, the bearings are cheap to replace, but it sucks to break down in the middle of nowhere.

Here are a few other long distance tours that agree with mid level shimano for most the drive train:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads