Sharing what i think to be a treasure

RoadFlower33

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Reactions: rando
D

Deleted member 24029

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/boa/d/tacoma-cc-designed-capital-yachts/6792763429.html
Looking for somthing like this myself in a year or so. I hope one of you sailors out there can become a captain or a captain commidore or what ever... it's a bitchen boat, he'll of a steal I would go all out and buy the fucker i can learn to sail... but I don't have the cash... sad face.

She's a bit small but does have everything you need, viz., head, berthing, etc. Although, I'm partial to sleeping aft, instead of in a V-berth.
Regarding your Captain v. Commodore question: Commodore is a Navel term for a Captain aboard another Captain's vessel.

RoadFlower33

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I had a feeling I had commodore wrong...

RoadFlower33

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I thought she looked small, But I am no sailor or even close... just starting learn.

D

Deleted member 24029

I thought she looked small, But I am no sailor or even close... just starting learn.
Well, the practical distinction is ocean-going vs. not...As far as @CrowTheBard 's location: that leads to open water but has natural breaks, essentially, so that I imagine one is not really facing ocean conditions. I would think 27' is just fine..

RoadFlower33

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Well, the practical distinction is ocean-going vs. not...As far as @CrowTheBard 's location: that leads to open water but has natural breaks, essentially, so that I imagine one is not really facing ocean conditions. I would think 27' is just fine..
Thanks! As I plan on going toward @CrowTheBard to learn.

Reactions: CrowTheBard

Dameon

Reaction score
27' is on the very minimum side for what you'd want for oceangoing. It's more about having living space and room for crew, though. You can hit the ocean in a relatively tiny boat, but a few feet makes a huge difference in the comfort level you'll get. After living on a 26 foot boat, I personally wouldn't want to live on anything less than 30' again.

CrowTheBard

Reaction score
Here’s the specs on that boat

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/newport-27-1

That site, sailboat data, has info on damn near every boat ever produced as more than a “one off.”

When comparing boats, it is not nearly enough to compare length. Displacement is equally required to compare twovessels of similar length. A heavier displacement is desireable in a boat used for voyaging, as displacement translates to more capacity, a more sea kindly motion, etc.

Around here, in these mostly protected waters, with an anchorage never far, (or a lee shore lol) all sorts of small and simple boats could get the job done.

My current boat is 30’ -9” on deck, and I sometimes wish I would have waited for a 28’ of some sort. Me and my wife have lived on a 24’ boat with sitting head room. Our current boat is the biggest one we’ve had, and while the extra room is nice, everything gets more expensive: it’s exponential- from anchor size, to haul out costs, to sail cost to gallons of bottom paint, to hours of work, it all grows rapidly in preportion to the size of the boat.

Not to mention small boats are easier and more fun to sail (less physical work involved) and therefore get sailed more often overall.

I would suggest getting the SMALLEST boat you can possibly imagine being comfortable on. Anything from 20-30’ is fine, 30-32’ being the max I’d recommend for a singlehanded or doublehanded crew. Boats can always be sold and upgraded, etc.

Cheers,
Crow

• Useful
Reactions: RoadFlower33

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads