Seeking Some Mentoring

Jack Gale

Reaction score
Hello!!!

I'm new here... will you show me around?!

I'm currently residing in Durham, UK, and I am in need of some mentoring to realise my potential in travelling and looking after myself. I want to learn everything - from hitchhiking and dumpster diving, fasting and shoplifting to really just anything that will help me.

Whilst there's information for me on here (of course), I'm looking for 2 things from this:
- A mentor who can help me get a decent start on my journey to self reliance; or
- Some information from any viewers: what is the most useful skill to learn to survive? Where should I start off to when I leave home (I will have nowhere to live, little or no money, and no intention of working any kind of consistent job for a long period of time)?

Anything you can say to help me would be great - your biggest tip, where you got started or where I may be able to find other help - and really I'm just looking to meet some likeminded people on here.

Thanks in advance - I'm blessed with your audience,

Jack Gale
20 Year Old Student in Durham, UK

K

Kim Chee

With a tie like that I think you should stay in school, get a great job and buy all the poor kids here a nice little retreat where they can stay out of the cold;)

Did you really say you want to learn about fasting? I wouldn't recommend it on the street as you will need to keep your energy levels up, when you're in jail is the time to go for it. But, hey if you can pull it off in the street, that makes you a pretty tough guy in my book.

There is a shit ton of useful information here, but the real learning will take place when you set out on your own.

My biggest tip is keep making good posts, read all you can here and when you have the little bit of gear and confidence to make things a little more fun than scary, head out the front door. You can do it.

Welcome.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Hi there and welcome to STP :) We have a lot of well written traveling resources included in subforums here --- note the pinned threads at the top of the subforums as they most likely have the most recent or best or well written info in there - but do read the rest of the threads as well. We also have a library of good stuff as well as some really well written articles. So yeah - We're the squat university :)

Now in amongst all of the available information are some well seasoned traveler observations, inputs and suggestions on equipment, research, etc. Do peruse these and then hit us up with your questions and observations. We're not set up for mentoring but perhaps in the future you can meet up with a fellow traveler (road dog) who can travel with you. Good luck and have fun! When were you looking to travel btw?

Reactions: PennyRiver

Jack Gale

Reaction score
Michael - hahaha - sorry, it's an old photo. Just out of interest (don't worry if you're busy), but if you were in a position where you could redo your life from age 20 with a great job and plenty of cash, would you want to? If you haven't already, I'd definitely recommend reading Siddhartha - Herman Hesse. Fasting seems to be such a popular skill amongst travellers and worldly folk out east. Maybe it's not so much elsewhere (?) Thanks a lot for the advice and welcome :)

Tude - I'm graduating (hopefully) in July of 2016, and then looking to start myself off indefinitely. I appreciate the advice - there's so many great things on here, and I've only just got started. Do you have any favourite/ most useful articles or threads you'd like to share?

Angerisagift/Penny River - I've always been told you can never have too many socks... but I guess there's always a limit. Thanks for the wise words... interested what you think Penny River :)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads