Sargasso Boat City

TheSac

Reaction score
I've come across references online and in stories I've been told about a community of people who live on sailboats in the Sargasso Sea. Using techniques like those mentioned in Sailing the Farm (https://squattheplanet.com/files/sailing-the-farm-a-survival-guide-to-homesteading-on-the-ocean.398/) and other books to liveaboard at sea for long periods of time, they're more or less independent of land. From the few stories I've heard there are a number of people who do this, sometimes meeting up as an impromptu city of sorts and other times drifting alone. Is there any truth to this? If there is, has anyone been out there? I've only done small boat day sailing on Lake Ontario and Cayuga Lake, so I don't know much about ocean sailing or if this is even possible.

Reactions: Big George W

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I'm sure it has happened, I'd be interested in learning more details as well.

• Agree
Reactions: Big George W

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I am not sure why I would be asking for more details if I had heard more about it...

Antares

Reaction score
I've come across references online and in stories I've been told about a community of people who live on sailboats in the Sargasso Sea. Using techniques like those mentioned in Sailing the Farm (https://squattheplanet.com/files/sailing-the-farm-a-survival-guide-to-homesteading-on-the-ocean.398/) and other books to liveaboard at sea for long periods of time, they're more or less independent of land. From the few stories I've heard there are a number of people who do this, sometimes meeting up as an impromptu city of sorts and other times drifting alone. Is there any truth to this? If there is, has anyone been out there? I've only done small boat day sailing on Lake Ontario and Cayuga Lake, so I don't know much about ocean sailing or if this is even possible.
That would be badass. Are we allowed to suggest forums where you might get more info on here? There's a massive marine tracker I just discovered recently. Domain is .ru, but I've done a little digging and servers are in PNW and France from what I can see. I would ask there.

release

Reaction score
That would be badass. Are we allowed to suggest forums where you might get more info on here? There's a massive marine tracker I just discovered recently. Domain is .ru, but I've done a little digging and servers are in PNW and France from what I can see. I would ask there.
I would be interested :)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads