Sailing Oceania

WanderLost Radical

Reaction score
Okay, so I got this awesome trip stuck in my mind for a while now, and I need to know about the feasability of it, to see if I go forth with it, or sink in disappointment.

After my current trip in Asia and United states, I wanna go back to Australia to work for a while. I've checked that already, getting a work visa will be a piece of cake, I'm on the list of needed skills. During that time, I'll save up and learn how to sail for 1 to 2 years, before teaming up with 2-3 (preferably experienced) sailors, fly to Taiwan, buy a used sailboat, get it inspected, get gear, then sail/hop islands across the Philipines, Malaysia, Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, then back to Australia, where we'll sell the boat for profit.

Is 2 years of experience enough?
How big should the boat be? I think the furthest out we'll be should be around 100 nautical miles from a coast (between Taiwan and Philipines).

Am I suicidal?

Reactions: Whereamiwhatdoido

KootenayRambler

Reaction score
If you're truly determined, I dont see why not. Dont set a time limit though. Train until you feel overly confident with your skills, and then train a littlle more. I've met many people who've sailed the Pacific and only taken a basic 3 week sailing course. Anyone can do anything in any amount of time. It completely depends on determination.

K

Kim Chee

I think the time limit has moreto do with how old you are.

You look rather youthful in your avatar, I think you shouldn't have to worry about timeso much unless there is something besides old age nagging about your life.

Whereamiwhatdoido

Reaction score
I hear nothing suicidal in your post. Sure it sounds adventurous, personally I just wouldn't be able to follow through, I'm too wishy washy and would probably change my mind on every given chance.

WanderLost Radical

Reaction score
If you're truly determined, I dont see why not. Dont set a time limit though. Train until you feel overly confident with your skills, and then train a littlle more. I've met many people who've sailed the Pacific and only taken a basic 3 week sailing course. Anyone can do anything in any amount of time. It completely depends on determination.

after only 3 weeks? Well now that's encouraging! ahahaha I was more planning on taking a short one, practice knots and shit by myself for a bit, then hang out at the local docks in the weekends.

I think the time limit has moreto do with how old you are.

You look rather youthful in your avatar, I think you shouldn't have to worry about timeso much unless there is something besides old age nagging about your life.

Well not really, except maybe the travel addiction. I know that after spending a year working, I'll have only one thing in mind, and that's adventure. And I have so many things I wanna do in my life, and I'd like to make most of them before hitting 30. 35 maybe. I'm 20 now, and the clock's ticking ;)

kitkat

Reaction score
Ha, funny you should post this...
I think it's totally doable, but, time time time and effort
Just did a 12 day sailing passage from PNG to Palau, just me and the captain, and all I have to say is...I'm not going out on the open ocean on a boat less than 70ft. That shit is scary when a storm hits. But i always had a nagging want of open seas and sailing the world so i had to do it.
Also, what's been your longest journey on a sailboat?

Durp

Reaction score
Sounds doable. Just make sure you buy a sound boat. Unless you are a great carpenter, or love grinding metal constantly, I would look for a fiber glass vessel. Also, a 35ft to 39ft yacht sounds like what you may be looking for. With boats you pay buy the ft for everything. People have crossed oceans on nothing but a Zodiac eating sea weed, plankton and sipping saltwater. Learning to sail is a bit scary at first but stick with it, and if you don't crash you will figure it out.

WanderLost Radical

Reaction score
Ha, funny you should post this...
I think it's totally doable, but, time time time and effort
Just did a 12 day sailing passage from PNG to Palau, just me and the captain, and all I have to say is...I'm not going out on the open ocean on a boat less than 70ft. That shit is scary when a storm hits. But i always had a nagging want of open seas and sailing the world so i had to do it.
Also, what's been your longest journey on a sailboat?

So far? No experience. And theres definitely no way I can afford a 70'. But I dont think i'll need it because I wont be in open oceans. The nice thing about hopping ilands is that you can check the weather at the islands and decide accordingly if you wanna go for the next island now or wait for the storm to pass.
Sounds doable. Just make sure you buy a sound boat. Unless you are a great carpenter, or love grinding metal constantly, I would look for a fiber glass vessel. Also, a 35ft to 39ft yacht sounds like what you may be looking for. With boats you pay buy the ft for everything. People have crossed oceans on nothing but a Zodiac eating sea weed, plankton and sipping saltwater. Learning to sail is a bit scary at first but stick with it, and if you don't crash you will figure it out.
Yeah thats what I was thinking. 35-40'. thanks for the advice!!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads