Sailing lessons in the Northeast? | Squat the Planet

Sailing lessons in the Northeast?

Wierden

Reaction score
Hey all!

So right now I'm working on a farm in Richmond VT through HelpX, but that only goes for about another month.
I've decided the wandering life is for me, and I'm dipping into the savings I built up this last summer to buy a boat.

There are a couple 22-30' sailboats in my price range (<$1500) that I've found on CL that look promising. I'd like to start my trip down the east coast in Boston, and figure things out from there. I have some family living nearby willing to help me get whatever I buy into the water (I don't have a car)

Only problem is, I don't know jack about sailing. I've read the thread about how it's easy to learn, if hard to master, but I'd feel better about it if I got at least a couple hours' worth of pointers and basics in addition to watching videos/reading books.

So, anybody in the Massachusetts/Rhode Island area or nearby who'd be willing to show me the ropes, so to speak? Minor financial compensation would be doable, and ofc I'd be happy to put you up on board for a few nights, feed you, smoke you up, etc. depending on how much instruction I get

Hoping I can find somebody to get me off on the right foot! Thanks!

• Best of Luck!
Reactions: Juan Derlust

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Not to disuade you from finding people here or elsewhere, but one resource that might be worth looking into is yacht clubs. almost every town has one and some will let you borrow boats to practice on and i would imagine it would be a good place to learn from other people (or meet others willing to teach newbies).

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of times, the seller of a boat will take you out for an hour or two and show you how everything works on the boat, if you're serious about buying it and you ask them. Just a thought.

Wierden

Reaction score
Great news! The current owner of the 24-foot MacGregor Venture I'm looking at agreed to give me a lesson when I pick it up!

That said, I'd still love to meet up with any other boatpunks or squatters in the area 👍

Attachments

• IMG_20190921_173219.jpg
    IMG_20190921_173219.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 281

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads