Round Two: from LA to San Diego

Jim

Reaction score
Waking up to the sunrise over LA was something else. Spending the night in a bush was worth it.

I left that day, after spending some time at a laundromat and getting everything washed. Then I took a bus to Redondo and spent a night there, then San Pedro, then Long Beach. Right now I'm on a train from Santa Ana, heading to San Diego.

I've been spending too much and not making a cent lately, so I took the time to check out basically every job and gig app that exists. So far I didn't take advantage of any of them, although I should have in Torrance. I've just been moving too fast to keep track of it.

San Pedro and Long Beach were not hospitable places for a vagabond. Even in San Pedro, I at least managed to find a spot on the beach where I could sleep undisturbed until sunrise. In Long Beach, I couldn't find anything better than the beach. Although I know how to sleep in a way that no one can mess with my shit without waking me up -- using my pack as a pillow, keeping my boots under my blanket and close to my face -- it still made me uncomfortable to be in open view. It made me realize that being able to hide in the brush is an opportunity that not everyone has. Note to self -- plenty of people get by just fine with sleeping in public.

Even so, it was cold as fuck. I'll have to stop sleeping on beaches until spring; the sea breeze makes everything wet at night.

I'm about to have another adventure in San Diego, putting some roots down, hopefully making some friends. I need time to recover both financially and physically. I'm not stopping, just taking it slower for a while. I don't think I could just stop and "settle down" now even if I wanted to. I've barely started.

Dmac

Reaction score
Good luck dude! Thanks for the stories.

Reactions: Jim

heatdeath

Reaction score
Waking up to the sunrise over LA was something else. Spending the night in a bush was worth it.

I left that day, after spending some time at a laundromat and getting everything washed. Then I took a bus to Redondo and spent a night there, then San Pedro, then Long Beach. Right now I'm on a train from Santa Ana, heading to San Diego.

I've been spending too much and not making a cent lately, so I took the time to check out basically every job and gig app that exists. So far I didn't take advantage of any of them, although I should have in Torrance. I've just been moving too fast to keep track of it.

San Pedro and Long Beach were not hospitable places for a vagabond. Even in San Pedro, I at least managed to find a spot on the beach where I could sleep undisturbed until sunrise. In Long Beach, I couldn't find anything better than the beach. Although I know how to sleep in a way that no one can mess with my shit without waking me up -- using my pack as a pillow, keeping my boots under my blanket and close to my face -- it still made me uncomfortable to be in open view. It made me realize that being able to hide in the brush is an opportunity that not everyone has. Note to self -- plenty of people get by just fine with sleeping in public.

Even so, it was cold as fuck. I'll have to stop sleeping on beaches until spring; the sea breeze makes everything wet at night.

I'm about to have another adventure in San Diego, putting some roots down, hopefully making some friends. I need time to recover both financially and physically. I'm not stopping, just taking it slower for a while. I don't think I could just stop and "settle down" now even if I wanted to. I've barely started.
Good luck with that dude! How is the san diego life treating you? personally i dont like san diego, but then again im living in tijuana so why would i, its more expensive.

Reactions: Jim

Jim

Reaction score
Thanks! I didn't like it much either lol, and although I signed up for a temp agency, I wasn't getting any jobs down there, so I headed back up to LA.

How's Tijuana? Besides expensive lol

heatdeath

Reaction score
I think you misread, San diego is more expensive, TJ is way cheaper. Definitely more expensive than other places in Mexico but not the worst. Im getting to know it here, theres a punk scene so thats been fun going to shows and trying to make friends.

Hows LA? I hope you dont get stuck there.... unless you intend to!

Jim

Reaction score
Oh yeah, that makes more sense haha. It sounds great, enjoy the shows!

Not exactly, but I am reluctantly sticking around, since I've got a cousin looking to meet up in the next few weeks or so in LA. I'm very restless but it's a good opportunity to get some work and save up a little before I continue drifting. And LA is, you know, a big dirty city, but at least they're pretty chill with homeless people, and I'm getting to know the place well enough to feel comfortable.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads