Roll Coal (intentional black sooty smoke from diesel vehicles)

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Got my first close up experience with this morning. Standing at a street corner with a few others and SOB goes by and let off a thick black cloud that engulfed us. Saw it the other day with an 18 wheeler went by and belched out a big cloud - and I thought wow something is wrong with his exhaust system. Wrong - turns out they do something to their exhaust system - can be inexpensive or they can buy stuff for it to intentionally - at will belch out the stuff. Guess the driver gets a kick out of it or something. Some of my bicycling friends have been complaining about this too. You experience any of this business? ::rage::

rollcoal.jpg

K

Kim Chee

Yes, I've seen this. It is a form of assclownery not unlike a whoopie cushion or some other gag.

Maybe it is a counter-environmental statement?

(Not sure about the 18 wheeler, poor maintainance or shitty driving can produce the effect without modification).

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
Saw it the other day with an 18 wheeler went by and belched out a big cloud - and I thought wow something is wrong with his exhaust system.
In that case I think you were right. Most probably an engine problem, though. Not a problem with the exhaust system.
Wrong - turns out they do something to their exhaust system - can be inexpensive or they can buy stuff for it to intentionally - at will belch out the stuff. Guess the driver gets a kick out of it or something.
Some kind of silly protest against environment protection and the "green" movement. Read about it in a magazine here in Germany ...

hobotrucker

Reaction score
Just some informational feedback on this one: This is an engine process in big trucks that is done once to twice daily depending on the length of drive. Called Regeneration. It's an exhaust function that supposedly cleans out the system for preventative purposes. As a new trucker myself, this process involves really high temperatures and can be dangerous if the truck is sitting idle near any combustible objects. Keep that in mind if you ever camp out at a truck stop and you are near idling trucks that are close to vegetation or EVEN YOU! Cheers!

K

Kim Chee

Oh...I think I get it. These assclowns who make all that soot come out at the opportune moment are just regenerating?
Hurr mutha fuckin' durrr.
I'm an idiot.

L

LeftCoast

I see that shit all the time in Seattle/Tacoma. People are friggin idiots. And ultra destructive to the environment. I am guilty for having a 38 foot diesel bus, but I never go any harder than 3,000 RPMs. EVER. I really just can't wait to go WVO.
I see this stuff ALL THE TIME. And the drivers typically do it just to look awesome [AT THE COST OF THE FRIGGIN OZONE].

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads