Road @ Rail Relationship s | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Road @ Rail Relationship s

croc

Reaction score
We're just having a little harmless fun here :p

traditionally, the term for hitchhiker's in the 'tramp' category has been 'leather tramps' (because of their shoes), but it has fallen out of common nomenclature.
Oh, damn, as u know I've only been on the road a couple years now but when (seldom) I've heard leather tramp I've mostly heard it for ppl who primarily walk highways so I guess it's changed over time.
We should also make a term for vegans as to be inclusive. They will now be called 'pleather tramps'!

• Haha
Reactions: MFB

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
@Eng JR Lupo RV323 @Matt Derrick Bro why are yall picking apart what the fuck this kid calls a hitch hiker? Semantics.

I like the term ramp tramp, personally. Sounds cute. And I see the distinction between that and leather tramp bc leather tramp implies more walking than anything else. And rubber tramp as we know means u have a vehicle. So why not use another "tramp" term for hitch hikers? Why turn down an opportunity to use such an outdated and underrated word like tramp? But that's not what their post is about anyway.

@NewtonRed there are plenty of cool travelers out there to meet up with. Plenty on here, it's how I've made some of my dearest friends. Including the goof balls giving u a weird amount of shit for using a cute term their old asses ain't heard yet ;)

Keep ur chin up and put out good energy and you'll find people who are doing the same <3

I would suggest from a site that is a train Travel forum that it's been heard before 🐱?

It was more or less this comment right here that bothered me. OP was being a smart ass about us not knowing of a term that you literally cannot find anywhere online and I've never heard a single person ever in my life since associating with travel culture use that term. So I simply asked "What's a ramp tramp tho?" which was just a question, right? So dude got all smart ass about it like we're fools for not knowing these made up terms. You see where I'm coming from? It's cool if not, you can poo emoji this one too my friend, I ain't trippin.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
  • Love It
Reactions: croc

croc

Reaction score
It was more or less this comment right here that bothered me. OP was being a smart ass about us not knowing of a term that you literally cannot find anywhere online and I've never heard a single person ever in my life since associating with travel culture use that term. So I simply asked "What's a ramp tramp tho?" which was just a question, right? So dude got all smart ass about it like we're fools for not knowing these made up terms. You see where I'm coming from? It's cool if not, you can poo emoji this one too my friend, I ain't trippin.
Sounds like ur trippin. I don't think he was giving u real shit. We all are smart asses to each other on here right? Please don't vote me out of the ABAR

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
And the reason I'm digging in deeper is because I know exactly what OP is trying to do. Instead of just saying "Hey yeah I mean maybe I did make up that word, I like it" or whatever.. they're trying to legitimize it by posting that screen shot. Maybe I'm a bit too investigative at times, mostly because I hate people trying to bullshit me and maybe that's something I should just be cool with idk but.. I know what OP is doing.

You can't provide a link to a comment you've deleted that's only showing up in your own history, that's why I'm asking for a link specifically.

If you go onto Reddit and search "Ramp Tramp" you will not find that comment anywhere. If you search by only r/vagabond subreddit specifically you will not find that comment anywhere. If you search PNWguy2018's entire comment history you will not find "Great post". Anyone that uses ctrl+F knows how to do that.

So what's that tell me? I know you're not much for reddit so I'll explain it to you. OP was the one who made that comment on reddit. That's OP's quote. I imagine their username resembles their name on STP so they couldn't just offer a link right? Because then it's like "Oh I can show you where that word has been used before, right here.. where I used it before" seems kinda not very significant right? That still falls right back into "you made that word up homie".

So, OP deleted their comment on Reddit. That's why it says "deleted" where the user name should be. PNWguy2018 must have DM'd OP on reddit saying "great post" which is why that comment below what OP linked isn't in PNWguy2018's history. You can still go through your own history and see comments you've deleted though. So, OP basically tried to pull the okie doke on us by taking a screen shot of their own comment as if that makes that term any more common or known. It's just not a word anyone uses. And when people try to bullshit me, my inner Matlock gets triggered.

But yeah, I guess I'm being the shitty one because I don't particularly like being conned and I tend to put that shit on blast. I know what I'm doing corc, settle down turbo.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Well, this isn't a "train Travel forum" exactly. It isn't called train-hop the planet. There's a much broader scope than that. Train hopping is just one of many travel related topics we cover.

And yeah, you'd think someone here would have heard the explanation you gave that distinguishes "ramp tramps" from leather tramps, before. Honestly, I just think you're making up your own definitions.

There is no "ramp tramp". Leather tramp encompasses all aspects of foot travel. There's no need to categorize it all down into tiny subcategories. What will you make up next?

Thumb ramp tramps? Sign ramp tramps? Free range bovine sourced leather tramps? On the fly hoppers? Stationary train hoppers?

Cut it out ya silly goose. Shoot me one single link/resource that backs up your definitions. I'd genuinely like to see that.

yeah i've never heard of a ramp tramp. rubber tramp? sure. leather tramp? oh yeah. but never a 'ramp tramp'. but hey, kids and their internet are coming up with all kindsa new slang, so who knows.

edit: upon thinking it over more, 'ramp tramp' doesn't even make much sense, once you put it under examination. i mean, 'ramp tramp' kind of implies that anyone can hitchhike anywhere they want; to such an extent that they can literally choose where. on the ramp, off the ramp, side of the highway, maybe even ON the highway?

where in reality it's illegal to hitchhike anywhere except for on ramps in all but a handful of states, making 'ramp tramping' the only option for hitchhiking the majority of the time.

so, taking that into account, as @Eng JR Lupo RV323 pointed out, it seems strange to specify the location of a particular method of travel with that kind of specificity. 'hitchhiking', 'leather tramp' and other such terms have already broadly defined the subject that the granularity of the term 'ramp tramp' seems unnecessary.

furthermore, ergo, vis-a-vis, it seems that this unnecessary specificity is much like calling ted cruz 'ted cruz the zodiac killer' when in fact we all already know he is in fact the zodiac killer, so we can safely use the term 'zodiac killer' and know that we are talking about ted cruz. strangely though, we do say 'matt did 9-11' much the same way and yet that specificity is necessary in that regard. so ramp tramp is indeed a strange anomaly much like bouncing on my boy's dick for hours on end until rocketship 8====D~~~

um what i blacked out there where am i

@Eng JR Lupo RV323 @Matt Derrick Bro why are yall picking apart what the fuck this kid calls a hitch hiker? Semantics.

I like the term ramp tramp, personally. Sounds cute. And I see the distinction between that and leather tramp bc leather tramp implies more walking than anything else. And rubber tramp as we know means u have a vehicle. So why not use another "tramp" term for hitch hikers? Why turn down an opportunity to use such an outdated and underrated word like tramp? But that's not what their post is about anyway.

@NewtonRed there are plenty of cool travelers out there to meet up with. Plenty on here, it's how I've made some of my dearest friends. Including the goof balls giving u a weird amount of shit for using a cute term their old asses ain't heard yet ;)

Keep ur chin up and put out good energy and you'll find people who are doing the same <3

I'm going to have to agree with @croc Here and ask:

....Who the fuck cares? So the person uses a different term, good for them.

I used the term 'Jumping out' a couple times, got picked apart for it. I'm just going to use it all the time now to make people mad, lol.

• Agree
Reactions: MFB

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Again - Any other time I wouldn't give a shit. Use whatever words you want to. It was the way OP clapped back with "You'd think for a traveler site you guys would know these terms" or however it was put. It was that smart ass sideways remark that got me all turnt up.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads