road names??

thomas mccoy

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
so whats up with road names??
why do peeps have them??
hippies i get it.. but the other travelin squattin peeps..
is this like a for real thing??
is it sacred like one has to be bestowed upon you??
or can you just make your own??

• Haha
Reactions: eske silver

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
yeah, i think it's just an easier identifier for our community than 'that guy from dallas with the hair' and i think the traveler community tends to shy away from full names so it's a little be harder to be identified by the authorities.

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
Its also because a lot of people want to leave their old life behind them. Having a road name puts everyone on an equal keel. It gives you a chance to start fresh. It also keeps the sketchier elements from attaining any personal shit that's best left out.

D

Deleted member 20

I have had the luxury of different peeps & groups bestowing nicknames on me. Some: mayhem kos (pronounced chaos), knockout, dancing machine, irish, dropkick, highway, highwayman, boston, sully, kemos. I still feel wierd introducing myself as anything but my first name. I have never dreamed of giving myself a nickname. I fear of some inquisition type panel that determines if it justly applies or not.I guess a single bad/good attribute, experience etc could follow you forever regardless of what cool nickname you give yourself on the road. I actually had a situation at a-cola 2013 getting questioned by leo as to my rainbow name. I told them the first day they asked me that i didnt have 1. A few days later rolling out of my sleeping bag they greeted me with a good morning "Irish" & i realised i had been mind fucked. Sure there are other people that go by "Irish" some who were also at a-cola. What i didnt understand is that regardless if I introduced myself as kevin, everyone else had collectively but independantly all come up with the same nickname. The scally cap, collection of green dkm, pogues, flogging molly tshirts & huge Irish flag hung above my camp spoke louder than me uttering my first name. I couldnt hide who I am based on a nickname or even the absense of 1.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
I'm been known as Tude for years on different forums - my Mom even got involved when I had a few people visit me and the one guy got out of the car and ran up and hugged Mom calling her Mama Tude. Yeah, Mom gave me a weird look. And he called her that all weekend, LOL.

eske silver

In Disguise
Reaction score
I second what others have said above, but also, I know a few people who have "road names" because they kind of/ really/severely dislike their real or first name.
But yea, since a) we don't get to choose our birth names, and b) most often they don't really fit our personality and/or are common enough, being able to referring to specific persons with a unique name is way helpful.
You can chose your own, to an extent. Like, you can't choose something that implies you're super duper cool or badass, unless you're a wad... But yea, you can make something up and go by it.
I know travelers whose names are colors, animals, random objects, their favorite beer brand, etc, etc
Have fun with it!

I go by 'eske' since my first and middle initials are S.K.
and 'karl' started as joke, but it's a play on my middle name, Korl, which I've gone by for most of my life.
In high school, my friends and people I sold weed to, used to call me 'Korl Reefer'.
I'm also in the process of changing my first and last names legally, so sometimes , while traveling, I introduce myself as my new first name.
I do it mostly as sort of a way of telling where or when I met someone. If I get a random text from someone saying,
"Hey Kay! How've ya been?!",
I know that more than likely it's someone I met while meandering around in Tennessee.

autumn

Lurker
Reaction score
The closest thing I have to a road name is 'zim', (as in Invader Zim) which is a nickname a few people still call me after a hippie followed me around all night telling me to admit that I'm an alien - a "Nordic Blue" or some shit. He adamantly believed that I was born on another planet.

MiztressWinter

Like A Boss
Reaction score
I definitely feel a lot of people prefer road names to government names on the road because its harder to be readily identified to authorities when people don't know your legal name. I have met some kids that gave themselves their road names and others earned their names in one way or another. Mine was given to me when I was 17 because I had snow white hair (miss goth) lol and a friend said I was just like the season winter...dead brutal and cold but brilliantly bright and sparkling white lol kinda silly but it stuck and I have gone by winter ever since on and off the road ;)

Reactions: Tude
K

kokomojoe

Glad I came across this, I actually got my name from my grandpa. He used to call me Kokomo Joe all the time and his house was literally right by the train tracks. It was the closest I could ever get to the trains and just watch them creep on by. He passed away while I was in a mental/rehab hospital. Although I have yet to travel by rail, I use it as my moniker name on freights. The name means even more to me now since he's gone; it's like the spirit of both of us is traveling around the country and maybe catching the eye of some people. He had a big influence on why I love trains so much and hopefully the name rolls around the country long after I'm gone as well.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads