Road Less Traveled? - Probably A Common Thread Name Here

JaimaJaima

Reaction score
so I've been on StP on and off a while now but never did one of these things. mostly the learner- lurker- type, gathering as much information from all of your words as i can.

i've done a lot of camping and ue'ing before but finally looking to venture out of my comfort space and do some out of state ue and hitching, then if it doesn't break me venture into hopping while my bones still have some spark to em. all in due time however, still a student but this winter will give me about a month to get my feet wet. : ]

Reactions: Vulture

DownandOut

Reaction score
I'm kind of in the same boat. I've been in the army for 7 years and about to get out. I've really gotten into being outdoors in anchorage where I am now. I've also been hanging out in the park downtown meeting some pretty cool kids. A few have crashed on my barracks room floor. I'm really excited to get out and travel without a dime to speak of to my name. Any idea where you might go first?

JaimaJaima

Reaction score
hahah well that's advice well taken. truth is i'm in florida currently, so i'll have to wrangle my way through the tourists and snowbirds. since i only got about a month i plan on making it up to one of the carolinas, do some climbing there if i'm lucky and then just head back.

jjoshea

Reaction score
if youre up in alaska snow shouldnt be a much of a problem if you have a warm place to sleep. missoula has a good center that feeds well and also a good local pop. kallispell mt. has a place called the ray of hope that although is a christian place isnt heavy on the preaching and a person can stay indef. also donw town is a hostle.dorm 100.00 a month single rooms 150.00 forgot the name but its right d town an kallispell aint that big. wa.or or. is a little too wet for my taste tho i live a good part of my life there. north id. in cor d l,has a good setup and public trans to spokane. course there is the desert az. n.m.

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
everyone who heads to Florida tends get stuck in Florida. not sure what it is about the place but that's what happens. but you're from Florida so not sure if that rule applies? ahhh I'm ramblin, go wherever you please and explore to your hearts content!

E

Earth

I'm going out on a limb here but to me the Seattle area does seem like a good place to go to live on the cheep - because it seems their climate is really boring.
Doesn't seem to ever get too hot or too cold, not a whole lot of snow - and as for the rain?? I'm not even sure it's rained their this entire summer as I keep track of weather all around the world as a hobby. Maybe "Mist" is a better word....
But then again, I don't live there and don't know (anymore) anyone who does.

It's certainaly not like New England, where if you don't like the weather it will change in 20 minutes.... not too mention that we get a lot of extremes (harh winters, hotter than hell summers...)

But (i'm told anyway) it seems that the "travelers" avoid places like CT like a bad plague.

Too bad the Maybook Line (freight trains) shut down about a year ago, as that was right across the street from this joint, one of many reasons why I moved on in............
I used to watch the hobo's hop off/on all the time right here because they would have to stop the freight trains to manually throw a switch everytime they would pass by - since commuter trains also use part of that line...

Good Luck, and Yesh... S.T.P. is a good place for information. I just came back here last night (after a required break) for that exact reason. Good community out there.....

PS: I've got that saying The Road Less Traveled on a Canoe shirt as my favorite form of transportation is via kayak

D

Deleted member 15688

I'm kind of in the same boat. I've been in the army for 7 years and about to get out. I've really gotten into being outdoors in anchorage where I am now. I've also been hanging out in the park downtown meeting some pretty cool kids. A few have crashed on my barracks room floor. I'm really excited to get out and travel without a dime to speak of to my name. Any idea where you might go first?[/QUOTE

Somewhere Warm....

Vulture

Reaction score
so I've been on StP on and off a while now but never did one of these things. mostly the learner- lurker- type, gathering as much information from all of your words as i can.

i've done a lot of camping and ue'ing before but finally looking to venture out of my comfort space and do some out of state ue and hitching, then if it doesn't break me venture into hopping while my bones still have some spark to em. all in due time however, still a student but this winter will give me about a month to get my feet wet. : ]
Careful with your timeframes if you have something you want to get back to. You might just find yourself saying "fuck it". Even if you don't it's a tricky game, depending on trains and strangers to get back somewhere in time. Also, if you're venturing out in the winter months, pack warm even if your heading south. You probably wouldn't guess unless you've done it or something similar, but it gets very cold on a 60mph IM train WBD to LA. Don't underestimate nature.

That said, get some dirt on your pants, oil on your hands and twigs in your hair. Happy trails!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads