RIP Patrick Falterman aka Sucuri on STP (1 Viewer)

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Staff member
Current Location
Rochester, NY
Dam I was just talking about him - known on STP as Sucuri - he was a prolific contributor here for a while - canoed the Amazon for three years --- and shall miss him. I have not heard from him in a couple years and hoped he was ok, but I see that it was written on his blog that he has passed. An amazing person who lived a full life investigating the world. I messaged him quite a bit when he was within connection to load his info and pics. :( Check out his blog - but also do a search on STP of just "amazon" and you'll bring up so much of his stuff with lots of his pics that he posted. @Matt Derrick :(

His avatar and yeah I asked him - he ate all sorts of things along the amazon. Snakes, birds, monkeys and yes the fish - piranahs as well. :)

avatar-jpg.32880_RIP Patrick Falterman aka Sucuri on STP_Obituaries_Squat the Planet_8:58 PM

https://hitchtheworld.com/

He went down in a plane accident.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/state/headlines/20160904-pilot-performing-stunts-and-his-friend-die-in-houston-area-plane-crash.ece

Pilot performing stunts and his friend die in Houston-area plane crash
  • Patrick Falterman fueled an airplane in June 2015 in Liberty County.
  • Follow @jmchiquillo [email protected]
    The Dallas Morning News

Published: 04 September 2016 01:16 PM
    Updated: 04 September 2016 02:54 PM
    The Liberty County Sheriff's Office says two men died in a plane crash, apparently while they were performing stunts above the Trinity River.

The 26-year-old pilot, Patrick Joseph Falterman from the city of Cleveland near Houston, and his friend, 25-year-old Zach Esters, who was visiting from Louisiana, died after the plane went nose-down into the river about 6:50 p.m. Saturday a quarter-mile south of the State Highway 105 bridge in Liberty County.

Witnesses said the plane was flying low over the river, and the pilot appeared to be attempting stunts, including a backward loop, when the engine stalled at the peak of the loop maneuver. The pilot's relatives were among the witnesses.

Sheriff's deputies who were called to the scene found the plane 8 to 10 feet deep in the water.

View image on Twitter
    creqwmzumaarlrf-jpg.32881_RIP Patrick Falterman aka Sucuri on STP_Obituaries_Squat the Planet_8:58 PM

From The Associated Press

Posted by Julieta Chiquillo, Breaking News Hub reporter

@Hiceadha Hope you don't mind but I added Patrick's STP name to your title.

Last edited:

Dmac

Wanderer
Current Location
outside omaha
Damn that sucks. I enjoyed his posts and his blog about hitching in s.am. and canoeing the amazon area. R.I.P. Patrick.

HippieGangster

Pilgrim
Current Location
On The Road
Website
www.youtube.com
Found his blog before STP a few years ago, learned so much from the guy. Had the honor of meeting him this winter in Texas, got invited to go with him down to Brazil but turned it down since it was short notice..would have been a fantastic experience. Really great guy, it hurt a lot to hear about it yesterday. Definitely one of those people you'd never think would be gone..but atleast he got his story out and inspired many

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
wow, i mean we get people that knew people or a friend of a friend, but it's not often we find out about someone that actively participated in StP passing on. i'm glad at least with his blog he left something behind for all of us to remember him by. hopefully folks will go read that and know/remember the kind of person he was.

Current Location
Rossland, BC
Website
evencowgirlsgetthepoops.tumblr.com
I feel like I just lost a close friend. We had never met in person but often chatted over the years. He was active on social media and posted pictures everyday. When I was in the area I called his dad because Patrick said I would be more than welcome at their home but due to bad timing never
Got to visit the faltermens. This is devastating and I can't stop thinking about it. I feel for everyone who knew and loved him.

TheWindAndRain

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Current Location
silver city, new mexico
Oh man.. oh man not Patrick..this guy was a living legend. I regret not putting in more effort to meet him. RIP, you will never know how much you inspired the world sir. This is a huge loss.

briancray

Pilgrim
Current Location
Albion, NY
Website
www.bikethe.us
RIP sucuri. You were a true inspiration and I hoped our paths would cross one day on the road. Your travels on the Amazon were fascinating and legendary. I always looked forward to your posts on your blog.

I really wish we had the chance to meet and I am saddened to hear this news. You had a huge impact on the traveling community and will be greatly missed.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Lifetime Supporter
Current Location
Earth
Website
www.youtube.com
Damn... I just saw this.

Nothing but good things to say. I only talked to him a few times in PM and chat I think... he encouraged me to go down to Brazil once and I never did... damn. Remember him joking that if you watch the movie Baraka and don't get moving your never will... lol... Read a lot of his travel blog while getting lit on peaceful nights.

Damn...

What an amazing person. He definitely enshrined the spirit of travel and adventure... I'm saddened and am stupid for not catching this earlier. . . sorry bro. :(

RIP Sucuri
You lived a life full of adventure. I will not forget.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $45.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $45.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $45.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $45.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Preacher wrote on Wolfs Paw's profile.
::drinkingbuddy::
Im securing a squat tonight that should be a good long term squat. Also im playing a show tonight.
Just go to Barcelona and got lost on my way to my hostel. I walked into a corner store and asked for directions, and a guy who didn’t speak any English or know anything about me pointed to where i need to go and gave me a sticker that said “Everyone hates the police!”. I’m definitely in the right place😄!
Macon for a super hot minute. Who what when where?
Finished an initial draft of a floorplan for my new van:
A lot has happened since returning to California. Just two days after returning from the road, I grew the courage to leave my abusive SO and stop hiding her abuse. I returned to my hometown in the Bay Area; I’m now going to stay housed up here until next summer as I recover from trauma and save up for my next adventure. I’ve just gotten a job offer, and will be renting a room of my own here!
I learned a lot about myself and the world on the road, but I know vagabonding is the life for me!
I never did complete an update here, did I?
Well, I rubbertramped all across the country, back from Boston with a fellow moderator from R&V. We drove from there to Las Vegas over the course of a month! I saw 4 national parks, 30 states, and crossed over 6000+ miles. I came back to Los Angeles on June 15th, having achieved my goal of hitchhiking the entire country, and was on the road for over two months.
3 weeks of CDL training starting Monday. Im so excited. Living in semi is an upgrade from living in the van, especially since your getting paid for it! Hells yea!!!
A list of all the magic stores in the U.S. would be a sick feature on stp. Imagine you get off the train desperately in need of smokes and a slam, but you got ran off every corner... Dont worry stp knows exactly where you can get pall malls and some steelies with those foodies you picked up in the last town.
Engineer J Lupo wrote on Matt Derrick's profile.
Happy Birthday, dad!

Staff online