RIP Meg Perry | Squat the Planet

RIP Meg Perry

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
It's been quite a while since Meg passed away in New Orleans when her bus crashed in December of 2005, but I figured I'd post something here just in case there are people here who remember her, and I think she represents some of our ideals.
The first time I saw her, she was my medic buddy in the summer of 2003 in Maine, when we did a canoe transport in the morning, since we were some of the few people who knew both medicking and canoeing. It was the best transport I've gotten to do, the weather was nice, the water was calm, and we would have smiled more if not for the serious problem that was the reason for the boat ride- the ride back was lighter in mood. And her bus was a labor of love, though the first time I rode in it, it broke down, requiring more labor.
The last time I saw her in New Orleans, she peeked in the medic cave and I shouted her name and she hugged me so hard I could feel her ribs. Hard to believe it's been over seven years...
meg1.jpg

slurricane

Reaction score
i got a ride from lousiville to los angeles with a guy named julian from maine who was part of that bus project and was a good friend of hers, he told me the whole story and all about her. she sounded awesome, she saved everyone's lives on that bus didn't she?

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
Yeah she did, she grabbed the wheel and steered the bus away from doom, but doing that cost her life. Saved more lives than I ever did- I'm proud to have been her medic buddy. It's funny, she told me she stopped considering herself a street medic because she hadn't medicked or retrained for a while, and just shook her head when I said I still considered her one.

venusinpisces

Reaction score
It's been quite a while since Meg passed away in New Orleans when her bus crashed in December of 2005, but I figured I'd post something here just in case there are people here who remember her, and I think she represents some of our ideals.
The first time I saw her, she was my medic buddy in the summer of 2003 in Maine, when we did a canoe transport in the morning, since we were some of the few people who knew both medicking and canoeing. It was the best transport I've gotten to do, the weather was nice, the water was calm, and we would have smiled more if not for the serious problem that was the reason for the boat ride- the ride back was lighter in mood.
What was the circumstance that required both canoeing and medic skills? Was someone injured in the middle of nowhere?

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
if you don't mind me asking, what were the circumstance of the crash? im curious if it was a freak thing or something i should look out for if i ever own a bus again.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
What was the circumstance that required both canoeing and medic skills? Was someone injured in the middle of nowhere?

We had to transport someone to a hospital, and yes, we were in the middle of nowhere, and using a canoe was the easiest and fastest means.

ericafuckyea

Reaction score
I knew her way back when I was in my freshmen year of high school in Portland Maine. We met at a protest / occupation in monument square during the start of the iraq war. She was a role model to me and was one of the people who got me interested in activism and community outreach. The news of her death was a terrible blow to all of her friends here in Maine. RIP Meg, and thank you for everything.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads