Recommended Brands for Packs | Squat the Planet

Recommended Brands for Packs

Berky

Reaction score
Hey there everyone! I have a question for those who have experience living out of a pack for long periods of time. What brand would you most recommend? I plan on train hopping this summer and also a little bit of camping. What brand is most durable/reliable? Also, if there is any specific packs you like, let me know what they are. I am looking for something in the 50-60 liter range and nothing crazy expensive ($400 is the highest I would go, I don't have money to throw around lol.)

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Mountainsmith
Osprey
US Millitary issue
Gregory
REI

I have an Osprey Aether 70 liter, I thought I would be immediately ripped to shreds on my first hop out. The thing has been a trooper so far.

As with all gear, do your research, and treat it well. The more money you drop on a pack, the better pack you are going to get (mostly)

This is not true for Mountainsmith and REI, their packs are cheap and really well made. Same with US military issue.

Reactions: Berky

Mongo

Reaction score
If your planning on traveling by train go for the osprey exos 48 litre. There is a 58 litre but the the 48 is the perfect size for cramming into small spots. Your back will thank you later for getting an osprey.

If your gonna super cheap out get a double strap pickle bag. Not the most organized but very utilitarian. I've had one partially run over by a train and it's still functional

D

Deleted member 20065

Osprey Kestrel 48 works great for me. I'm 5'9" 160lbs. I feel anything bigger is just a waste of space and weight. And it's under $200

Last edited:

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Actually in our Equipment & Gear subforum there are member inputs on their packs and stuff as well.

• Useful
Reactions: Berky

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com

adventurekid

Reaction score
I have a Molle II fieldpack. It's pretty big (because of the frame) so it's not super optimal for train hopping, but it works its not like you can't train hop with it, and it will last you forever. And mine was only $45.

benton

Reaction score
You can't beat USGI Molle II packs for the money in my opinion. The large rucksack is just too damn big in my experience though.

I'm using the Molle II medium rucksack and it's not going to be large enough for many people. The waist belt is very uncomfortable for me as well. $55 bucks shipped from Amazon and it was damn near brand new.

Also lots of people hate the ACU camo. My packs see heavy use so I'm mainly concerned with durability.

Zippers are the main issue in the long term in my experience.

I had a gigantic North Face internal frame pack that I got for $70 used at Next Adventure in PDX and it lasted me at least 4 years of heavy use. It had to be over $300 new.

Johny

Reaction score
I was given a 90ltr pack in slc this fall , carry that and a small swiss gear bag on my chest (yes I know I have a lot of shit) it sucks hopping with it but is very comfy on long walks down the highway in freezing fog lol.
ill post what brand it is because I'm super happy with the way it fits just have it stashed at the moment.

Tree Huggin

Reaction score
I have an REI that I absolutely love. I replaced my redcloud 80 liter with a REI 60 liter awhile back and also got another one givin to me, but I think the REI will be the best for train hopping too

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads