Ready to hit the road and find cool people | Squat the Planet

Ready to hit the road and find cool people

styxxiv

Reaction score
I have almost no experience being out on the road on my own but spent a portion of my childhood hopping around from shelter to shelter with my fam. When my mom kicked me out last year I spent some time with the punks in my town and I've been dying to get out on the road ever since. I'm sick of being in this tiny ass town with it's tiny minded individuals. And my mom is sick of me and makes sure to remind me of the fact every time she gets upset with me. Until I get my license I'm planning on hitchhiking/trainhopping if I can. I live in a small town wit a LOT of trains. The only reasons I wouldn't do it is if I decide I'm not ready and can't find a road dog to show me the rails.

I'm an artist. I draw, do custom designs on clothes, write, take cool pics sometimes (lolll). I am also super spiritual and into anything related to nature. Right now specifically foraging. I can also cook, so hey. What's up lol.

I'm willing to learn, so if anyone has advice, suggestions, etc. Pls let me know.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Hello there, and welcome to StP! There's a lot to cover when you're just starting out, so get ready to do a lot of reading :)

Remember to use the search if you have questions, and if you can't find what you're looking for post a thread! We also have a live chat using discord if you're into that.

Are you trying to go anywhere in particular?

styxxiv

Reaction score
Hello there, and welcome to StP! There's a lot to cover when you're just starting out, so get ready to do a lot of reading :)

Remember to use the search if you have questions, and if you can't find what you're looking for post a thread! We also have a live chat using discord if you're into that.

Are you trying to go anywhere in particular?
Thanks! I'm planning on going vaguely west

Reactions: Matt Derrick

Spazz

Reaction score
I'm vaguely west if you want to talk to someone out here. I hitched in the '80s and have been rubber tramping around the emerald triangle since about 4/20.

No train experience yet, but I'm right there with you as far as trusting nature more than grocery store s if you'd like someone to talk to who isn't going to criticize your value s.

styxxiv

Reaction score
I'm vaguely west if you want to talk to someone out here. I hitched in the '80s and have been rubber tramping around the emerald triangle since about 4/20.

No train experience yet, but I'm right there with you as far as trusting nature more than grocery store s if you'd like someone to talk to who isn't going to criticize your value s.
Totally! I'd love to hear about your experiences and stuff

Maximus

Reaction score
I have almost no experience being out on the road on my own but spent a portion of my childhood hopping around from shelter to shelter with my fam. When my mom kicked me out last year I spent some time with the punks in my town and I've been dying to get out on the road ever since. I'm sick of being in this tiny ass town with it's tiny minded individuals. And my mom is sick of me and makes sure to remind me of the fact every time she gets upset with me. Until I get my license I'm planning on hitchhiking/trainhopping if I can. I live in a small town wit a LOT of trains. The only reasons I wouldn't do it is if I decide I'm not ready and can't find a road dog to show me the rails.

I'm an artist. I draw, do custom designs on clothes, write, take cool pics sometimes (lolll). I am also super spiritual and into anything related to nature. Right now specifically foraging. I can also cook, so hey. What's up lol.

I'm willing to learn, so if anyone has advice, suggestions, etc. Pls let me know.
Hey there! I hitched from Omaha to NYC, then from NYC to Sacramento. Spent about a year on the rails hopping from town to town from places like Indianaopolis to Mesa Verda and then Sacramento. Gonna be hitching it to Brooklyn come August, then I’ll be looking to buy a vessel to sail for a bit. If you’re interested let me know and we can work something out.

• Love It
Reactions: Spazz and styxxiv

Spazz

Reaction score
Mine have been both good and bad and I'll talk your ear off. :)

I just hate phones is all. Long story for another time.

Culturally, things are very different out here and there's a lot to learn.

I'm so sorry about your mom, but hey, I'm not sick of you and i'm roughly mom-aged.

You're going to be okay. Welcome to stp.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads