Ready to go...

MKiti

Reaction score
Really intrigued and in awe of this community of people. Recent (just barely) high school graduate..not going back to school..at least right now. Learning to be self sufficient and self employed. Have always dreamed of travelling..meeting new people..seeing what the rest of the country/world is up to.. Ideally would like to get outta the northeast and head for NOLA around/after thanksgiving. Start exploring..maybe looking at some artist residencies.

LADIES SPECIFICALLY: How did you start off travelling on your own? How do you stay/feel safer from predators?
First hitch experience? First time hopping freight?
Is biking a feasible form of transportation my first time on the road?
Any tips would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I can't link you cause I'm on my cell, but try the search (maybe "ladies" with 'search thread titles only' checked) there's lots of threads about that stuff here, so hopefully you should be able to find a lot of good info.

Also, biking is very feasible! We got a whole section for it. It's one of my favorite ways to travel these days.

kaichulita

soul rebel
Reaction score
I haven't started traveling yet, but from what other travelers tell me, it's better for a lady to travel with a guy which is what I plan on doing. On top of that, I am bringing a weapon: knife or a smiley or both. I wouldn't travel alone for the first time as a girl, but that's ultimately up to you. You'd have to be extremely situationally aware all of the time and ready to act on whatever event suddenly arises, even more so than when traveling with a partner. I get people bothering me on the streets a lot when I'm not even traveling, so I imagine that'll happen more often when I am.

Corinne

Reaction score
Website
www.incoherentmindz.tumblr.com
welcome and good luck :) i started traveling on my own by simply hopping in my van and driving away. i didnt even think to ask anybody to come with me. well looking manly as fuck works for me! never been sexually harassed lol but my old road dog did a lot. she wore revealing clothing. carry a knife with you and don't get in the car with young single men. i've never hitched or hopped freight. biking definitely sounds feasible but you have to eat alot so do alot of dumpster diving.

MKiti

Reaction score
Hey! Thanks all for your input~
think I'm gonna wait out the winter.. givin in and getting a holiday job in the meantime while its below 30 outside. (brrr not feelin it.)
but this also gives me time to save up, meet other travelers or people who yearn to, and soak up as much knowledge as I can. c:

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Cool deal, it never hurts to have some money when you're traveling, especially when you're new to it. There's a TON of info here on StP, you just gotta dig for it.

If you have any questions or need advice, don't be afraid to ask, there are no dumb questions. Also if you have any suggestions for StP, let me know, its always nice to get a fresh pair of eyes on it :)

D

deleted user

You should look into wwoofing as well, the farms here in Louisiana are garbage as far as what iv found, but you might find something. theirs a farm called common ground relief in Nola i wanna see. not even sure if its still there but its in my old dictionary of farms.

MKiti

Reaction score
Wow! The weather has been so finicky! Tomorrow it will be 63 degrees fahrenheit. what a tease..
all these farms sound sick though c: thanks guys

Cool deal, it never hurts to have some money when you're traveling, especially when you're new to it. There's a TON of info here on StP, you just gotta dig for it.

If you have any questions or need advice, don't be afraid to ask, there are no dumb questions. Also if you have any suggestions for StP, let me know, its always nice to get a fresh pair of eyes on it :)

I can tell ya right now its very warm, welcoming and a good source of information ::cat::

J

Johnny P

I know plenty of ladies who have traveled alone, either for short stints or more full time. They are tough ladies though. A few are quite scary compared to conventional women. And they are usually well armed. (Mace, Visible fixed blade knife, stun gun/zapper) If you do travel with a man, choose wisely. Most of all, live free and have fun. Good luck!

wrkrsunite

Reaction score
My advice is to avoid nola Your first year, it brings out the Worst in dirty kids (fighting, stabing, being dicks to the locals ect.) And if had went my first year i prolly Would have been very bummed (get it bum) on this scene. That being said once i did go (year 3) i went at least once a year for 5 years. Now i have to stay away cuz i have a bunch of tickets/warrents for sitting on a fuckin sidewalk.

Reactions: skitter

skitter

Reaction score
Really intrigued and in awe of this community of people. Recent (just barely) high school graduate..not going back to school..at least right now. Learning to be self sufficient and self employed. Have always dreamed of travelling..meeting new people..seeing what the rest of the country/world is up to.. Ideally would like to get outta the northeast and head for NOLA around/after thanksgiving. Start exploring..maybe looking at some artist residencies.

LADIES SPECIFICALLY: How did you start off travelling on your own? How do you stay/feel safer from predators?
First hitch experience? First time hopping freight?
Is biking a feasible form of transportation my first time on the road?
Any tips would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

if you are are willing to observe and learn I see no reason why you cant venture solo. Honestly when I left town with my now-husband he really took a trial-by-fire sink or swim tough love kind of approach to showing/teaching me pretty much everything I needed to know.to survive... I don't think I was street smart enough before setting out woth him but ymmv, anyway I have ventured out on my own.and.didnt die so that is cool.
I have a lot of beloved stellar friends back home but in my estimation, none of them could handle it, nothing wrong with that, you either do it or you dont.

I have another thread somewhere.here re: hitching stories.and the spectacular weirdos who have picked us up but in all.actuality most people are.benign. First train was fun, I haven't ridden solo but wouldnt be freaked.out by that.

I have had a well trained intimidating dog accompany me, he was alert while we slept and created a nice buffer. Dont just get a.dog just because though cos. It is a forever.thing and it really cramps your style at times (hitching, activities you can do while visiting new places).
When I was sleeping out in a city with no dog, in one particular instance someone crept.up on me, I guess they thought I was asleep, and tried.to.lift up my sleeping bag. I shot up.and flicked my knife out, didnt freak out, just letting them know I meant business, and they skittered off... I guess my tip is there is a right and a wrong way to hold a knife and it is not the stabby stabby gesture you make while playing charades. I wear a nice fixed blade on my hip now but I havent had to whip it out... It is a tool and not a weapon, ya know? I have seen other things, mace and stun guns. I am.fortunate that I usually have husband and.dog with me. met quite a few traveller ladies who roll extensively solo, but they are definitely made.of "tough stuff".

Sorry the syntax was weird on this meandering rambling... Smartphone bullshit.

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads