Reading suggestions?

E

Elliska

So I've got a dwindling reading list ahead of me, and I want to hear from the StP crowd some suggestions/favorites. I'm mostly just curious as to what you all read, or even if there's a large number of avid readers among you.

North

Reaction score
I've been reading all the Jack Reacher books by Lee Child. I don't normally read that often but I'm really into this series.

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
rudyard kiplings jungle books strikes a key note. but i generally enjoy books about metaphysics one of my faves is SORRAT a history of the carl neihardtt psychokinesis experiments 1961-1981 IF U CAN Get ur hands on that one good luck its over $100 on google but if u can find it in a library god be praised.jus looked it up. another is telecult power by reese p. dubin. those are some of my faves. but theyre hard to find. among quite a few others.

Thorne

Stuck and stagnant
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.houselessnothomeless.org
Anything by Philip K. Dick

Thorne

Stuck and stagnant
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.houselessnothomeless.org
Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep is my next read, can't wait to read it.

That was the first book of his that I read and the one that turned me on to the rest of his work. The movie Bladerunner was based on that book.

A Scanner Darkly is another one of my favs of his.

SoyPablo

Reaction score
Not had time to read so much this year, but Tropic of Capricorn by Henry Miller was a recent winner. Big laughs.

And have you already read Tropic of Cancer? Amazing how a book originally published in '34 can still be so relevant today -- Henry knew what a load of rubbish "The American Way" was all those years ago. Plus, it's funny as hell too, like a lot of his work. A genuine artist, that Henry -- one of my favorite authors. I'm slowly reading The Air Conditioned Nightmare right now -- almost done!

A couple of other authors that probably don't need mentioning here are Kerouac (duh) and Bukowski, amirite? ;)

E

Elliska

And have you already read Tropic of Cancer? Amazing how a book originally published in '34 can still be so relevant today -- Henry knew what a load of rubbish "The American Way" was all those years ago. Plus, it's funny as hell too, like a lot of his work. A genuine artist, that Henry -- one of my favorite authors. I'm slowly reading The Air Conditioned Nightmare right now -- almost done!

A couple of other authors that probably don't need mentioning here are Kerouac (duh) and Bukowski, amirite? ;)
Both Tropic of Cancer and Tropic of Capricorn sound intriguing, I'm always down for risqué writing such as Henry Miller's works, though he's one of those authors I've yet to delve into the works of in depth. Definitely going on my reading list.

notOK

Reaction score
Lost my triple-stacked Vonnegut book in a housefire a couple months ago. Cat's cradle and Slaughterhouse 5 and cannot recall the third title just this second. But anything by him is never regrettable reading. Fire took my copy of the Poetic Edda, too. It's got the Havamol in it, which is like the Viking book of Proverbs. Excellent advices for travellers to live by.

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
Lost my triple-stacked Vonnegut book in a housefire a couple months ago. Cat's cradle and Slaughterhouse 5 and cannot recall the third title just this second. But anything by him is never regrettable reading. Fire took my copy of the Poetic Edda, too. It's got the Havamol in it, which is like the Viking book of Proverbs. Excellent advices for travellers to live by.
I believe I have read the same book last summer. Definitely recommended. Last book is called Breakfast of Champions I believe.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads