Re-Introduction, 1st Ever Traveling Adventure Awaits Me

Juliet Red

Reaction score
Hello, I'm Red the Outlaw. I only been logged in a couple times many years ago, but it seems that I'll be a regular here now. I'm not gonna get too into my whole life story unless people ask, but here's what y'all need to know. I've gone by a few similar names, some of you may have met me as Juliet/Julie, but in most recent years I go by Red the Outlaw. I have been on and off homeless in Portland, OR. That's where you'll remember meeting me from if you think I seem/sound familiar. I now identify as non-binary, used to identify as transwoman. So you may have met me in either girl mode or dude mode. It's been a rough few years for me, but I have just turned that around and things are going great. I currently have moved from Portland to my parent's place in the Seattle area.

So, I'm about to go on my first adventure. Like I've mentioned, I've been homeless. I busk really well, got some charm, and I don't do drugs anymore (except weed) so I know I got what it takes.

My first adventure is a long one.. I am currently staying with family in the Seattle area and I need to get to Louisiana. I'm willing to hop trains, hitch hike, ride a probably stolen bike that I end up buying for $20 down a highway until it breaks, Whatever it takes. I cherish the journey as much as the destination, so I'm trying to find a safe, effective, and adventurous route. I wanna meet cool people along the way, do side quests, sleep in the woods with some other dirty kids and boil coffee for breakfast, that kind of thing. My end goal is Louisiana because I have someone very special to me that I need to be with, and besides I have nothing to lose. Just got outta rehab, sincerely changed my life, live at my parents in a town that I have no history in, no job, no car, no friends here really, but someone I've gotten to know well wants me there with her and I want to be with her.

I never thought I would ever want to leave the west coast, so that's how I know this is real and that this is what I really want. So don't try to convince me not to. If you think I'm making a bad choice then try practicing some harm reduction and make sure I have the information I need to make it there safe ;)

She has the same vision as me of what we want outta life, and I'll do whatever it takes so we can look upon the world together.

Thanks for reading, much love.
-Red the Outlaw

transcendentalhobo

Reaction score
Good luck! If it wouldn't be too much of a bummer to wait, you could potentially find a ride pretty far or even Road Dawgs to NOLA at the Seattle Anarchist Book Fair next month, Oly 'Zine Fest in September or the Portland 'Zine Symposium in October!

happy hobo

Reaction score
Hello, I'm Red the Outlaw. I only been logged in a couple times many years ago, but it seems that I'll be a regular here now. I'm not gonna get too into my whole life story unless people ask, but here's what y'all need to know. I've gone by a few similar names, some of you may have met me as Juliet/Julie, but in most recent years I go by Red the Outlaw. I have been on and off homeless in Portland, OR. That's where you'll remember meeting me from if you think I seem/sound familiar. I now identify as non-binary, used to identify as transwoman. So you may have met me in either girl mode or dude mode. It's been a rough few years for me, but I have just turned that around and things are going great. I currently have moved from Portland to my parent's place in the Seattle area.

So, I'm about to go on my first adventure. Like I've mentioned, I've been homeless. I busk really well, got some charm, and I don't do drugs anymore (except weed) so I know I got what it takes.

My first adventure is a long one.. I am currently staying with family in the Seattle area and I need to get to Louisiana. I'm willing to hop trains, hitch hike, ride a probably stolen bike that I end up buying for $20 down a highway until it breaks, Whatever it takes. I cherish the journey as much as the destination, so I'm trying to find a safe, effective, and adventurous route. I wanna meet cool people along the way, do side quests, sleep in the woods with some other dirty kids and boil coffee for breakfast, that kind of thing. My end goal is Louisiana because I have someone very special to me that I need to be with, and besides I have nothing to lose. Just got outta rehab, sincerely changed my life, live at my parents in a town that I have no history in, no job, no car, no friends here really, but someone I've gotten to know well wants me there with her and I want to be with her.

I never thought I would ever want to leave the west coast, so that's how I know this is real and that this is what I really want. So don't try to convince me not to. If you think I'm making a bad choice then try practicing some harm reduction and make sure I have the information I need to make it there safe ;)

She has the same vision as me of what we want outta life, and I'll do whatever it takes so we can look upon the world together.

-Red the Outlaw

Your intro is very inspiring and I'm sending you much good vibes and visualizing amazing fortunes on your continued journey! Perhaps the hardest leg of your trip is behind you, congrats on completing rehab!

Reactions: Ynwdwndrr

Ynwdwndrr

Reaction score
,I cherish the journey as much as the destination, so I'm trying to find a safe, effective, and adventurous route. I wanna meet cool people along the way, do side quests, sleep in the woods with some other dirty kids and boil coffee for breakfast, that kind of thing'

💗

Juliet Red

Reaction score
How can I find routes and do most towns have places that will provide things like used giant duffle bag backpacks? I'm new to this, how do I find a road dog?

transcendentalhobo

Reaction score
How can I find routes and do most towns have places that will provide things like used giant duffle bag backpacks? I'm new to this, how do I find a road dog?

Most towns that are probably... 60,000+ or so people have resources like Travelers Aid, Salvation Army, whatever.

You can call 211, and ask about travel expense vouchers or free food. They may or may not have accurate info, but it's a place to start. Free food places frequently lead to free clothes and other gear. Public libraries frequently also have free resource lists.

Meeting Road Dawgs, in my experience is just like connecting with anyone else. They just become Traveler Friends instead of whatever.

Reactions: happy hobo

happy hobo

Reaction score

Some towns are much better than others, for example in Boulder, CO you can get clothes, camp gear, food, toiletries, etc. Tuesdays at the main downtown Park (Central Park) and on Sundays and Thursday mornings at certain churches. I got a new sleeping bag, camp chair, tent, and full size quality backpack (Kelty 75 liter) all for free there. Austin used to be like this too, not sure if it still is. And Berkely for sure.

As others have said, bigger city Salvation Army locations sometimes give vouchers to use at stores (usually their thrift stores but sometimes others too) and I think they still give you a one time Greyhound ticket to anywhere in the country.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Me and my road dawg are in Seattle now, and will be here for a couple of days. May be able to meet up and get you some info. Can't guarantee it,but might be able to.

We are hanging around Ballard/Fremont area. Feel free to PM me.

vajrabond

Reaction score
I recommend finding a road dawg or simply playing to your strengths, rather than do a thing alone for the first time. Honestly, I never got a road dawg in this forum. I've met people later that were cool, but I wouldn't rely on it. It's more like I got myself to hubs of travelers in real life and met people in person. It's hard for anyone to justify helping a new person without knowing what they are like. I used to moderate a group on Facebook called DIY Bicycles For Dirtbag Lifestyles. Probably the best place for learning how to ride bikes long distances. I've ridden a bike across the country 2-3 times now. It's a lot of work, but also a fun way to travel. Just slow. Like what is a few days on a train is a few months on a bicycle. I actually wouldn't hitchhike or hop freight alone in the south if visibly trans/queer. The coast for hitchhiking out west is a fun adventure with a lot of kindness. Plus all the parks have showers and cheap 'hiker/biker' sites to fall back on to avoid cities. Just sometimes have to put up with yuppies. It can be a fun first hiking/ hitchiking adventure. It is much harder to do all these things as a trans person alone, between the state of the country toward us, police violence, and the bulls of railyards. The violence both social and physical tends to be worse toward us. Be careful who you advertise inexperience to. Sometimes it's hard to trust other travelers. Not saying you shouldn't do it out of fear, just that maybe find someone to go that is reliable and has a decent rep. If you can't find someone, don't spread yourself thin doing too many things as a noobie. Decide on one with another as a backup plan. With the road you never really know. A ride might pick you up and leave you at an exit in the middle of nowhere. It might pick you up and drive you all the way to NOLA.

Sometimes busking to earn a Amtrak/Greyhound ticket is the safest route, as hiking/ long distance cycling/ hopping freight require all different skillsets with slightly different gear needs. Don't be afraid to play up your strengths over doing something new that is dangerous or maybe you don't have the gear for. If you can't find cool people, I recommend trying your thumb on the coast and busking the cities as an easier first adventure. That said, I set off in similar circumstances and almost died a couple times on the PCT (running out of water in the middle of nowhere is not very fun). Got rides from some weird fuckers. Had some bad times trusting the wrong dirty kids. Met a few that were great. Hope this was helpful.

Reactions: AnotherNerd

Doc Road

Reaction score
Hi there Red! Congrats on finding a struggle. It’s been too long for me.. I’m going through transition myself and reached a wall so to speak. To say the least it’s been a rough year in a decade of hard livening on an d off the road..
I’ve lived in Seattle for several years so can tell you my 2cents there. Other west coast cities too. Did a bit of 🚂 stuff and hitching. But my passion is bikes. I’ve lived out of one pretty much since I started nomad life. Since 2018 I’ve tried my hand at maritime work in order to finance a proper motorcycle rig… long story short I’m in Texas with family recovering from injuries and to get a few old problems sorted out. I miss that feeling of meeting someone special or simply being dead certain on a destination by myself.. I’m truly happy for you. Happy trails and best of luck on your journey. I’m in San Antonio/Austin area for a while. To bad this place is shutting down.. and nomad/vagabond life is in a low place. So new life breath and hope is refreshing. 🌹🖤🌹🖤

Johns Wheel Shop

Reaction score

-Red the Outlaw

I would say to Just Fly down there and get it over with and just get there in a matter of a couple of hrs. You could do a: Go Fund Me to get the ticket, and also take the first Cancellation Ticket Seat on the First Airline that Offers it or a person who cancels. And also you could fly on the Mexican Oil and Transportation Company too. The only thing is that you would have a bunch of Chickens sitting on your Lap the whole way and flapping their feathers all over the place on the airplane for entertainment. And it might only cost 5pesos for a seat too, but I don't know if they go to N.O., after-all, they're based somewhere in TJ.☮️

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads