Rats gone wild (literally)

Unslap

Reaction score
We will begin with a brief story followed by a time for comments and suggestions.
1. Purchased two large-mouse-sized baby rats from a pet store (i was gonna give one to a friend) They were 4 bucks each and generally meant to be snake food.
2. Spent the next three days hopping a train, walking around, and playing music. The rats moved around freely from my shOulders to my shirt pockets and legs. When i was sitting they didnt try to run away. They hated sunlight and would always burrow in my clothes. once the female rat rAn under a bush and i spent 15 minutes trying to get her out followed by me grabbing her rather roughly by the tail.
3. The first nigjt i kept them In a box. The second i let them free all night. One slept in my beanie and the other (male) ran hyperactively around inside my sleeping bag all night.
4. The third night i took them from my pockets, fed and watered them, then rolled out my bag. Within 5 minutes both had taken off into the woods in two different directions and i was unable to find either... The next morning i observed one of them not 10 feet away carrying leaves into a hole between two abandoned railroad ties, i guess making a nest. The other came close a couple times but ran off full speed if i so much as turned around... Id seen them eating garlic pepler so i guess they knew how to get food ...
5. Slept in the same spot the next night but saw neither rat.

Now im confused. I thouhht we were getting along pretty well, one even cleaned my teeth and ears. Are you supposed to keep them caged at night, and if so isnt that kinda fucked up?
Im thinking maybe as they were designed to be live reptile food that i may have purchased a non domestic breed... Any advice?

Shakou

Reaction score
We will begin with a brief story followed by a time for comments and suggestions.
1. Purchased two large-mouse-sized baby rats from a pet store (i was gonna give one to a friend) They were 4 bucks each and generally meant to be snake food.
2. Spent the next three days hopping a train, walking around, and playing music. The rats moved around freely from my shOulders to my shirt pockets and legs. When i was sitting they didnt try to run away. They hated sunlight and would always burrow in my clothes. once the female rat rAn under a bush and i spent 15 minutes trying to get her out followed by me grabbing her rather roughly by the tail.
3. The first nigjt i kept them In a box. The second i let them free all night. One slept in my beanie and the other (male) ran hyperactively around inside my sleeping bag all night.
4. The third night i took them from my pockets, fed and watered them, then rolled out my bag. Within 5 minutes both had taken off into the woods in two different directions and i was unable to find either... The next morning i observed one of them not 10 feet away carrying leaves into a hole between two abandoned railroad ties, i guess making a nest. The other came close a couple times but ran off full speed if i so much as turned around... Id seen them eating garlic pepler so i guess they knew how to get food ...
5. Slept in the same spot the next night but saw neither rat.

Now im confused. I thouhht we were getting along pretty well, one even cleaned my teeth and ears. Are you supposed to keep them caged at night, and if so isnt that kinda fucked up?
Im thinking maybe as they were designed to be live reptile food that i may have purchased a non domestic breed... Any advice?

Rats from petstores come from a long line of fearing humans, because essentially they are being bred for snake food (rats from good breeders are another story). Given that and the fact that they are never handled in pet stores, it's natural for them to fear people when they are so small and can take quite a while for them to learn to be 100% at ease and not fear you. When they got loose, I'm thinking their instincts kicked it and everything they were beginning to learn about life with a human was wiped out.

Generally, you should really only keep them out of their cage when you can watch them. When you're asleep, or away from them, they need to be in a carrier of some sort.

Ireen

Reaction score
Rats from pet stores are crazy.... The are not used to being handled by humans or even being around humans. If you want a more friendly/tame rat try getting them from a good breeder. Girl rats are a lot more active than boy rats. If you can't keep your eye on them it's probably best to put them in their cage especially if they are in an unfamiliar place because they are likely to go exploring and not come back. Keep in mind they can chew through just about any thing. If you get new rats I would start training them to know their names and for them to come to you when you call them their are videos on youtube that are pretty helpful. Treats always help bribe them well it works on my rats anyways...

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads