Rails 2 Trails ? | Squat the Planet

Rails 2 Trails ?

bryanpaul

Reaction score
So I was wondering if anyone has any experiences hiking along train lines... It seems like such a cool way to hike long distance... especially in the mountains, cuz i'm pretty sure railroad lines cant rise more than 100ft. in elevation per mile, nice mellow grade......plus your on a train line, so depending where you are theres chances of running into yards, busy sidings, and other places to catch a ride if you want.....i'm seriously considering maybe this summer hiking some stretches of the old northwest pacific line from the bay area (CA) up to arcata(there was talk of reopening the southern portion of that line?dont know though)....especially up towards arcata through the redwoods...it pretty much follows 101...but yeah.....so many cool places around the country where railroad companies have cut us a nice trail through beautiful country.......around duinsmuir would be cool.....maybe the c.o.r.p. line towards coos bay ....all those shortlines up in new england....etc, etc, etc....so yeah...... anybody else interested in this or have stories or know good lines to hike.........

Dmac

Reaction score
in nebraska, they are turning an old line into a trail, runs 320 miles from norfolk to just past chadron(southern part of the black hills) and then there is the old walbash trace trail that runs from coulcil bluffs down to coin (right to the missouri st line). it's about 65 miles long and very pretty riding, good camping and several bars right along the trail. of course stuff here can not compete with the scenery along the 101 or the redwoods! good luck and let us know what happens.

Reactions: OmFish

LarZ

Reaction score
I've never walked tracks for long distances myself, but I know that John Francis, an author and activist (I actually posted a thread about him in general banter) would frequently walk tracks, so it can be done.

Also, the reason that a large section of the tracks in Norcal aren't running yet is that they're damaged. I know that storm damage took out some bridges and section of the track north of cloverdale. This may not be an issue but then again, it might be. Just to keep in mind.

D

Deleted member 20

I personally hate walking on ballast myself, means I am not on a train. I have no idea what shape these tracks are in so who knows. I have always been interested in building or obtaining a small railed vehicle, like a powered rail inspection cart or even like a former railroad truck with Bogies on it already. I like the idea of trails but would much rather have 320 miles of abandoned & useable track to explore without fear of competing traffic. I do like the idea of some bars being along the line.

bryanpaul

Reaction score
yeah walking on ballast sucks.......... it would be the shit to have one of those pump up and down type railcars... them folks out in black butte have a badass bicycle powered car thing ( Black Butte Center for Railroad Culture )......and yeah those worker trucks !!! i wonder if you can find them at auctions and shit ?

D

Deleted member 20

I came across a few online over the years. This link is a website that municipal governments use to liquidate there stuff. Please note that this fucking website is fucking great & has lots to offer. There are plenty of vehicles(origionally found while trying to form a Nomadic bus tribe a few years back), boats, tools, generators hell they even have buildings. This site is one of the best resource for anyone wanting to live off the grid or just use Uncle sams trash become your treasure.

GovDeals.com - Government Surplus Auctions

W

Weminuche

This idea sounds cool as hell to me. I'm walking the Durango Silverton Narrow Guage Railroad pretty soon. 45 miles. runs along a river through some pretty remote National Forest. I'll bet The rails in Norcal make for some cool hikes.
I know this is an old thread but did you ever get around to doing any of this? How was it?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$20.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads