Question - probably dumb question about boiling water in two pots | Squat the Planet

Question probably dumb question about boiling water in two pots

roguetrader

Reaction score
if I understand you correctly I think the answer is no, because a fire needs to draw air to burn which it can't do in an enclosed pot or pan - the air needs to come from underneath or the sides, not above....

maybe describe the circumstances you're in and what you're trying to do in more detail then I can offer advice better...

also without meaning to sound like a dick, it's often a good idea to re-read your posts to see if what you are saying is clear to other people - at the moment what you are actually asking is difficult to understand....

Usagi

Reaction score
This isn't a horrible idea. But you'd have to poke holes in the sides of it so the fire could draw air in. If you have an old large pot you would toss anyway converting it into a mini-fire barrel isn't a bad idea. It could be useful if you needed fire when the ground was covered in snow or soaked from an on-going down pour of rain.

At home I've always kept a burn barrel around. The fire will burn pretty well even without holes. But over time fire will weaken the metal and rain will rust it from the outside. About the time mine get full of ash they are falling apart. I've had them split in half when moving them.

I say if the pot is large enough and it's an emergency you can get away with doing it. I wouldn't eat/cook in that pot again though.

I thought you were originally asking about pot-in-pot cooking. Double boiler I think it's called. I have one for melting chocolate. That cooking method works fine and is easy. You don't need that much water in the bottom/larger pot. I use it for things I want to melt/heat without burning it. Mainly chocolate and cheese.

Reactions: JackSquat

sevedemanos

Reaction score
back in my day we put the holes in the inside pot to steam the veggies.

it takes a lot of wood to get a fire hot enough to boil water effectively.. its not going to fit in any pot ive ever heard of unless youre talking an absolute cauldron with no bottom to it

Gin

Reaction score
Screenshot_20220905-011917~2.png

sevedemanos

Reaction score
nice. that looks much more practical.

i bought one of those little handmade hobo stoves they make out of soda cans, back in 2012 when i first started out. think they stuffed it with cotton swabs or something cant remember — never ended up trying it out though! over the years started ditching gear left and right, keeping only the bare minimum. pack literally consists of just a few essentials these days.

i dont even heat food anymore unless its winter and i find a safe place to build a fire. but i heard those little stoves really do work!

Reactions: JackSquat

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$20.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads