Posting for the older guys on StP-- remember the forced STD tests in Chicago jails?? (1 Viewer)

ScumRag

me, hellarity, oak, ca. about 2006
Lifetime Supporter
Current Location
San Diego, CA
Although hard to believe, yes... It was a real thing. I was arrested in Chicago for trespassing the Scamtrak Station & was held for a week back in '02 + forced a pipe cleaner test... Its since been redacted as a standard but still a good article as seen below. Any other guys remember this? Fuck, it sucked. Talk about profiling, heh...!

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-06-24/news/ct-met-hiv-std-testing-jail-20100624_1_incoming-inmates-cook-county-jail-std-testing

"Cook County Jail to test all inmates for HIV
High-risk populations will also be screened for other STDs
June 24, 2010

For the first time, all Cook County Jail inmates will be routinely screened for HIV unless they decline the test, according to Dr. Avery Hart, chief medical officer for Cermak Health Services of Cook County.
The new opt-out approach will replace current policy at the jail, which only tests inmates for HIV and sexually transmitted diseases upon request.

Under the new policy, which is expected to begin in July, those in high-risk populations will also be tested for gonorrhea, chlamydia and syphilis unless they turn down the screening. The jail dropped a similar program several years ago due to funding shortfalls.
The former STD testing was also the subject of a class-action lawsuit, alleging that thousands of men were forced to take invasive tests without their consent. That case settled for more than $4.5 million, said plaintiffs' attorney Thomas Morrissey.
As the new program begins, Hart said that jail officials and medical staff "are being very careful to ensure that opt-out is explained and understood to all incoming inmates."

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

scntfc

Lurker
Current Location
North Carolina
I salute your post. Although I have never experienced It, I have heard numerous stories of pipe cleaners. Sigh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$40.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $40.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $40.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $40.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $40.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

TFW you're a trans girl hitching solo over a thousand miles through Western Colorado, Utah, Las-fucking-Vegas, and all the way down to California without a scratch or nary a creep to fight off only to get drugged in a gay bar that I've been to before during a pride night that's billed as a trans/nonbinary/gender-nonconforming/POC event in San Diego. Wowzers

(Don't worry, I was safe and taken care of that night, just taking a moment to appreciate the fucking irony)
f u c k lyme disease
Lithium21 wrote on Desperado Deluxe's profile.
I ni you 🍫
Tragedy is what you can't undo
Just got off the hi- line . In minneapolis for a hot minute.. Anybody passing through let me buy yall a beer or 12.
Raised in Nowhere, Washington State, USA where the forests, hills, mountains are playgrounds. Work & play in the forests. Retired now.Realizing the finish line's much closer than the starting line. Man-tracker, 50+ yrs. (Multiple disciplines). I also instructed tracking until retirement. Attended "survival" training several times (guv'ment & private), some mandatory. Saw the website & took a peek. It rekindled the wanderlust in me with a bit more of a tempered attitude.
Anyone else having problems with the site loading slowly and acting glitchy?
jamie summers wrote on nastynaty's profile.
too bad about clovis...i rode through recently without stopping in the yard luckily...where did you get pulled off now
?did you end up on a train for dallas?
Update on my luck: wrong train, cops pulled a gun on me, im off the transcon, and i have one day to get to chicago.
Blessed is the match consumed in kindling flame.
Blessed is the flame that burns
in the secret fastness of the heart.

Blessed is the heart with strength to stop its beating for honor’s sake.
Blessed is the match consumed in kindling flame.

-Hannah Senesh

Rest in power, Will.