Portable tough as nails Extra power | Squat the Planet

Portable tough as nails Extra power

Jackthereaper

Reaction score
I apologize if this is redundant, common knowledge and thus doesnt need posting, or unnecessary for most people.i searched and didnt see anyone had posted anything similar.

I ran into a feller last week who was showing off his new fangled battery box he spent $300!!! On.
It charges his iphone 5 times on a charge
FF516E5F-145F-40DE-88F0-1300933C4940.jpeg

Granted it has ac power and a bunch of other shit you dont need, but $300 for what is 50-100wh of storage is pathetic.

If you are cheap and smart you head down to the local tool shack (or your stepdads tool bench) and pick up one of your favorite color battries, bigger the better. Watch out for those loss prevention fuckwads.

1F42636B-9EE2-465A-8FB0-BD5248C87DDB.jpeg A3263CF1-D357-4651-B3F0-3FA90444D91F.jpeg C466798A-2864-4170-9EBB-C763D4A6D7E6.jpeg

The tool batteries are tough as nails compared to some hippy rei bs and you get a fuck load more power. $300 in yellow battries gets you 360wh that will charge yr iphone 15-30 times depending on the efficiency of the charger you use. All the companies have a little slide on usb charging station that can easily charge most devices. What more all of the battery protection is built into the battery not the tool so you have a safe package on top thats been thouroughly tested for use with half drunk bumbling idiot apprentices, and built and distributed in the millions of units.

Charging the battery back up obviously requires a bulky charger, but the batteries are pretty light. I used this baby one i stole from my step father and it charges my gen 1 ipad pro back up to full from 10% but its done after.
974EE663-A7D7-4656-AB7C-20878C55A218.jpeg 1E774FE9-FD6E-4EB4-8294-61265658585A.jpeg

Probably best to avoid Hazard Fraught tool batteries as some dont include that there thermal protection and ive let the smoke out of one in the past. Never had that problem w. A quality battery.

There are also companies solely dedicated to rebuilding tool batteries, which makes them much cheaper if you actually use a lot of power off grid.

Attachments

• BF7405AA-474E-4CC9-B4DB-53B468F29446.jpeg
    BF7405AA-474E-4CC9-B4DB-53B468F29446.jpeg
    724.8 KB · Views: 317
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 23824

I apologize if this is redundant, common knowledge and thus doesnt need posting, or unnecessary for most people.i searched and didnt see anyone had posted anything similar.

I ran into a feller last week who was showing off his new fangled battery box he spent $300!!! On.
It charges his iphone 5 times on a charge
View attachment 52384

Granted it has ac power and a bunch of other shit you dont need, but $300 for what is 50-100wh of storage is pathetic.

If you are cheap and smart you head down to the local tool shack (or your stepdads tool bench) and pick up one of your favorite color battries, bigger the better. Watch out for those loss prevention fuckwads.

View attachment 52385 View attachment 52386 View attachment 52387

The tool batteries are tough as nails compared to some hippy rei bs and you get a fuck load more power. $300 in yellow battries gets you 360wh that will charge yr iphone 15-30 times depending on the efficiency of the charger you use. All the companies have a little slide on usb charging station that can easily charge most devices. What more all of the battery protection is built into the battery not the tool so you have a safe package on top thats been thouroughly tested for use with half drunk bumbling idiot apprentices, and built and distributed in the millions of units.

Charging the battery back up obviously requires a bulky charger, but the batteries are pretty light. I used this baby one i stole from my step father and it charges my gen 1 ipad pro back up to full from 10% but its done after.
View attachment 52390 View attachment 52388

Probably best to avoid Hazard Fraught tool batteries as some dont include that there thermal protection and ive let the smoke out of one in the past. Never had that problem w. A quality battery.

There are also companies solely dedicated to rebuilding tool batteries, which makes them much cheaper if you actually use a lot of power off grid.
Most of the power banks I own/have seen are rated in mah., milli amp hours.

Jackthereaper

Reaction score
Watt hours removes voltage difference from the equation when comparing batteries(a 48v battery with 2500 mah is equivalent to a 12v battery with 10,000mah is equivalent to a 2v battery with 60,000mah). You can do an easy conversion to watt hours by multiplying nominal voltage by battery capacity in amp hours (mah/1000).

By federal law though, all battery containing devices in the us must state watt hours somewhere since like 2012. If you dig a lil they tell you the watt hours somewhere

• Useful
Reactions: Juan Derlust

SaltyCrew

∆-FLY LOW-∆
Reaction score
Charging the battery back up obviously requires a bulky charger, but the batteries are pretty light.

So do you have a solution to this problem? I for one do not have the extra room in my pack to carry around an AC charger for a cordless tool battery. As you've stated, they are extremely bulky.

Jackthereaper

Reaction score
Personally i know of someone with a charger in many cities. maker spaces etc would be a start on where to look to charge. Though for me 15 uses is enough for on near a month for my navigation iPhone.

Its not a perfect solution, but its by far the most robust and ubiquitous solution using off the shelf parts i have seen.

And if i really need to go for longer i would throw the charger in a waterproof stuff and clip it to the outside of my pack.

Last edited:
  • Useful
D

Deleted member 23824

Personally i know of someone with a charger in many cities. maker spaces etc would be a start on where to look to charge. Though for me 15 charges is enough for on near a month for my navigation iPhone.

Its not a perfect solution, but its by far the most robust and ubiquitous solution using off the shelf parts i have seen.

And if i really need to go for longer i would throw the charger in a waterproof stuff and clip it to the outside of my pack.
O.k. . How can
I charge my iPhone with that Dewalt? I know that battery, it is probably lighter than carrying two 20,000 mah power banks, which are around a pound apiece, and I would not do, I only carry one. For the short duration trips I take, I wouldn’t need to worry about charging it on the road. What is the capacity of the one in your photo?

Last edited:
  • Agree

Jackthereaper

Reaction score
The one in my photo is 20v 1500mah making it a 30wh battery but a rough guestimate is you will actually yield 22-25wh(chargers arent perfect) which would do an iphone roughly 2.5x

Theres a doo-dad you can buy from each brand that goes onto their battery that gives you a 1.5amp or better usb power source.

AA5A08FA-8AF8-4EFF-A1EB-92BBDE385467.jpeg EC0CAA21-79A7-4F02-973F-A21E97303875.jpeg

• Useful

Jackthereaper

Reaction score
O.k. . How can
I charge my iPhone with that Dewalt? I know that battery, it is probably lighter than carrying two 20,000 mah power banks, which are around a pound apiece, and I would not do, I only carry one.

Keep in mind a lot of the chinesium battery banks waaaaaay over-rate their capacities. How has your mileage been with the banks is the real test of their actual capacity.

• Useful

SaltyCrew

∆-FLY LOW-∆
Reaction score
Keep in mind a lot of the chinesium battery banks waaaaaay over-rate their capacities. How has your mileage been with the banks is the real test of their actual capacity.

I've been carrying around a 10Kmah Anker for about 6 years now. It seems to work as good as the day I got it. It will charge a phone 3-4 times. It weighs close to 1lb.

D

Deleted member 23824

I started looking at the batteries and adaptors from all the major tool manufacturers, i.e. Milwaukee, DeWalt, Makita, Bosch, etc. All in all, there ‘s something to be said for compactness. I would not want to carry a cordless tool battery, plus the adaptor, just too big and bulky. Sometimes,
I carry my power bank in my back pocket, that precludes anything larger. About the best I could do, eventually, is to get an Anker Powercore+ 26800mah. Under a lb., around 75 bucks, will recharge my iPhone 9 or 10 times.

Jackthereaper

Reaction score
I started looking at the batteries and adaptors from all the major tool manufacturers, i.e. Milwaukee, DeWalt, Makita, Bosch, etc. All in all, there ‘s something to be said for compactness. I would not want to carry a cordless tool battery, plus the adaptor, just too big and bulky. Sometimes,
I carry my power bank in my back pocket, that precludes anything larger. About the best I could do, eventually, is to get an Anker Powercore+ 26800mah. Under a lb., around 75 bucks, will recharge my iPhone 9 or 10 times.
That ankor is a good price
$70 for 100wh is a great deal, on par with what ive been talking about for cost /wh. I personally have chowdered one of those packs in a month(case cracked in half basically and she got real hot), but it was several years ago, and i hope they have upgraded their plastic from reground pvc. Obviously ymmv with any product, and if you are gentle with your shit it lasts longer.

Sadly i never learn my lesson and continue to be hard as fuck on everything i own, so i picked up a pair of 9ah 60v battries cuz i havent managed to knacker off a proper tool battery (yet).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 23824

I currently have , I think, a power bank that is about 22000 mah, chosen for its’ high ratings with regard to waterproofness, and shock resistance, since I beat the shit out of stuff, also . But, since it works perfectly and is hardly used, cannot justify spending more money now.

Reactions: Jackthereaper

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
there's a lot of reasons i'm going to have to strongly disagree with the advice in this thread.

first off, the reason the 'hippie rei' battery packs are so popular is because they are a great combination of power vs portability. should you spend $300 on one? of course not, there are plenty of cheaper alternatives, most costing around $80 or less.

second, the idea you are proposing of carrying around both a charger and some crazy power tool battery is impractical for more reasons than i can count. besides, size, weight, and cost that nears or exceeds the $80 price point, it's also going to take several hours if not days to recharge any kind of battery that is in the capacities you are talking about.

i purchased a ravpower 20,000 mah portable battery three years ago and it's still going strong, even after months of daily use. has all the ports to charge 3 devices at a time while also charging itself (this is known as 'pass through' charging) and it only takes about 3-4 hours to fully charge from zero. combine that with the extremely low weight (half a pound) and small form factor (about two candy bars side by side) and you can see why this becomes such an attractive option.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019IFIJW8/

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads