planning on a 1200~ walk...

Joshicus

Reaction score
So I've fucked up here in Dallas and plan on walking back up to ohio to my parents place to get my canoe and tipi, or so my plan goes. The most I've walked was 15 miles and this is gonna be 1200ish miles to get there. Anyone have any useful tips I could use to get there in one piece? Best place to cross the Mississippi and ohio on foot? What sucks is I only have about 10 bucks to get started with, so will be dumpster diving a lot to fed myself. Lol

I assume you plan on hitch hiking it? Some times you'll get lucky and the person that gave you a ride will feed you or kick down some cash. Dumpster diving is good to supplement but don't count on it, more often than not you may not find anything good. Its weird when I'm actually hungry and dumpster diving I don't find much, other times I'll find a feast and not really need it. As for crossing mississippi, no idea only drove over it. Is this your first time out?

K

Kim Chee

No hitchin?
I've walked 30+mile days before, not too many in a row.
Several times I've set out penniless. It is only an inconvenience, you will probably be dirt poor over and over and hopefully you'll still be able to crack a smile. Wish I had more for you for that route. Keep strong.

Joshicus

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I don't plan on hitching because I don't wanna get cited or some shit. But if someone offers a ride and after I study them a bit I'll take it. If I knew a quick way to earn 200 bucks I could get a bus ticket from here clear to my home yown.

1200 miles is a huge undertaking walking it all. I don't have many problems with hitch hiking, like getting cited or ticketed. But I also don't mouth off to law enforcement. Also being smart and knowing where to hitch helps out. Like I typically stay to the on-ramps, or at the exit of a rest stop. If you try hitching directly on the highway, your gonna have a bad time. You could always find a local church, some of them have programs to help stranded people with bus fare. And you might get a free meal. Or you could fly a sign. I've humped many a mile and the thought of 1200 without hitching makes me tired just thinking of it.

K

Kim Chee

If this trip is a one-time deal and not a career, the Salvation Army used to (maybe still does) offer a free one-time bus ticket from your location via greydog to another location if you provide a number to somebody who says, "yeah, he can stay here."

Hitchin' is bitchin'

Joshicus

Reaction score
Yea im trying to plan a route to get there without being on the interstate. Looks like I might be able to cross the Mississippi at Cairo Illinois. But it's kinda hard knowing I cant walk the interstate. Gonna be my first time out traveling this way. I walked a bunch in my hometown and in it's surrounding areas but nothing on this scale.

D

Deleted member 2626

Nice . hitching your probably wont get in trouble just lots and lots and lots of shittiy looks and some hassling from cops. I've been thinking of a big walk but with a goat. I've enjoyed just walking for days than hitch hiking at times. Obviously less ground covered but if you don't like dealing with people as much walking is cool. 1200 miles will take you a few months

Joshicus

Reaction score
I dont know if I am lucky or what. But I had got 6 miles into my journey and some dude picked me up. Gave this sob story that my mom was dieing and that I had to get to ohio to see her. Well the dude ended up buying me a bus ticket. hell yea man

Reactions: randef

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads