Penny and coke can stove

kennacoconut

Reaction score
My boyfriend made a couple penny and coke can stoves. Last night we fired one up and made a can of chili beans!

IMG_20130416_001151.jpg
^This is just the stove by itself, lit up and running.
IMG_20130416_001201.jpg
^With a can of beans on top
IMG_20130416_001207.jpg

They run of grain alcohol. We used everclear. It was pretty easy to use on my bedroom table. I let it completely run out of 1 oz of everclear and it cooked our beans perfectly. Can't wait to take it camping!

Reactions: JOJO

man of the forest

Reaction score
how do you make one of those??? i have a pack stove that cost me $150.00... you made one out of a can. nicley done. now how please lol :)?

Reactions: Kamil

kennacoconut

Reaction score
I've been trying to find the actual youtube video we watched, but I can't. I'd love to show the video we watched, but here is a good one too:

man of the forest

Reaction score
thats cool shit. could be easaly improved or used in sequance with the hobo stove. i like it. thanks

Fishkiss

Reaction score
What keeps it from becoming a bomb?I know alcohol vapors shouldn't be anywhere around open flames...that's how moonshine stills blow up...same thing with making hash....it looks like a great idea if somehow the alcohol vapors are contained.if they aren't I'd just eat the beans cold and urge no one to do this.

man of the forest

Reaction score
What keeps it from becoming a bomb?I know alcohol vapors shouldn't be anywhere around open flames...that's how moonshine stills blow up...same thing with making hash....it looks like a great idea if somehow the alcohol vapors are contained.if they aren't I'd just eat the beans cold and urge no one to do this.
It will not blow up. this is becouse it will not retain any presure due to the crude make and holls. a combustion bomb requires at least (dont quote me exactly, i dont know the exact) 200 lbs of retained pressure. in a still you are cooking a mesh into a vapore by due prosses of what is known as presure kooking at some 15 psi (again dont quote me exactly). in combination of cooking with an open flame, the fact that your cooking a "fuel" in your still makes it verry dangerus and easy to get your still to hot and.... Kaboomba!!!!
hope this was helpfull.

kennacoconut

Reaction score
The burner holes act as the alcohol venting and steady release for flame system,allowing the can filled with alcohol not to become engulfed in small space and turn explosive.The filling hole is biggest venting hole along with 12 burner holes at the top. This is also where penny goes after filling in order to create a small reservoir at top that will get the burners started.Same reason a lighter does not explode in your hand when lighting. The sealed and air-tight fuel is vented onto open flame while not traveling into the lighters reservoir and turning bomb. Moonshine stills only blow up when alcohol is too hot beyond boiling and in air tight and pressured still.

Fishkiss

Reaction score
Ok maybe the moonshine still was a bad example.making hash is a bit better bc its not pressurized.I think this is a great idea just not completely sold.I guess I need to see it made.I get the concept of making the 12 holes for vapor to purposelyescape...to ignite fire...anyway it is a good idea..just be careful everyone.everclear vapor and fire is no joke.I use it all the time for hash tinctures and spitting fire.a little bit goes a long way

travelin

Reaction score
proven design and plans are all over hiking, backpacking forums and websites.

lots of foks use em.

thanks for bringing up the subject!

West

Squatter Fodder
Reaction score
I was into wilderness survival before I was into hobo stuff.

I've used the "coke can stove" about 50 nights to cook my meals on my week-long survival trips I take about three times a year. I also cook over the fire, using an "esbitt" stove, and using store-bought backpacking stoves.

It takes skill, time, dedication to cook over a fre, it's easier to use any other option.
Backpacking stoves are expensive and the fuel is heavy - hard to replace.
Esbitt stoves will run out of fuel really quickly, best for emergencies.

I prefer home-made alcohol stoves because they're easy to make and super repaceable, but they cook evenly if you make it right. Grab a beer can and make yourself one with a pocketknife, there are a ton of YouTube videos telling you how.

No, it shouldn't explode, but mine have leaked once or twice when I didn't cut it right and once even burned a hole in me knickers before I could put it out - just make it right the first time and this won't happen.

Reactions: saintharry

treyvor

Reaction score
I just thought id share This one that i made recently. The pictures aren't very good though.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383196666.844170.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383196686.212036.jpg

It has a screw in the filling hole instead of using a penny to block the hole. And three screws to use as a pot stand. My only problem with it is that it takes a little bit of time to light. I guess ive been spoiled by Canister backpacking stoves.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads