Paradise in a third world country

suzie fox

Reaction score
costa rica has really amazing squatter's rights.
if you inhabit any land for 90 days, you gain some rights to it, it will be hard for anybody to legally ask you to move.
if you inhabit the land for 1 year, you do gain rights to it, and will receive payment if anybody else wants to legally ask you to move.
the amount of produce that can grow here year-round makes me really hopeful for sustainability.
the amount of sun and rain also makes me feel good about alternative energy.

i feel like right now, just through volunteering around central america, i am just practicing, just learning, but i will possibly return in a few years and get something of my own started.

perhaps a treehouse/playhouse/jungle gym/farm/ranch/orphanage/wildlife rescue?

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
costa rica has really amazing squatter's rights.
if you inhabit any land for 90 days, you gain some rights to it, it will be hard for anybody to legally ask you to move.
if you inhabit the land for 1 year, you do gain rights to it, and will receive payment if anybody else wants to legally ask you to move.
WOW... For real? :)

kadenelias

Reaction score
Is it possible to purchase a piece of land in a Third World Country (Thailand/Vietnam etc etc) and just live off it (sustainable farming/fishing), but still living within a reasonable distance from society. It seems like a great option rather than living the monotonous dull life of Western Culture.

If so, is anyone up for it?

I'd definitely be up for that for part of my life, I don't really want to stay in the same place for a long time though.

suzie fox

Reaction score
yeah, i've been looking into some costa rican laws, they have cool loopholes for obtaining residency and acquiring land; stuff that really just makes sense to me, sounds natural right.
i'm proud of this country!
there are mannnnny sustainability / ecologically conscious / organic movements going on down here also, it seems..
maybe it is like this in a lot of places, but coming rom canada i have been totally amazed.

Reactions: scatwomb and MxEx

London Ben

Reaction score
yeah, i've been looking into some costa rican laws, they have cool loopholes for obtaining residency and acquiring land; stuff that really just makes sense to me, sounds natural right.
i'm proud of this country!
there are mannnnny sustainability / ecologically conscious / organic movements going on down here also, it seems..
maybe it is like this in a lot of places, but coming rom canada i have been totally amazed.

Any barriers against foreigners buying land there? Or does the squatting law apply to them aswell?

suzie fox

Reaction score
i think that buying property in costa rica is a really popular thing for foreigners to do... not sure if foreigners have squatter's rights (precaristas - en espanol) down here, that's something to look into... if they don't, all you would need is to include a local in the project

yosh

Reaction score
Just left my BofA owned squat in oakland and now im traveling around central america looking to start or join a land project. in panama now, going to costa rica soon but its expensive so i think i will be in nicaragua soon after. find anything good out in these parts?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads