Padding for my hammock

Svintah5635

Reaction score
Hey all!
I have a question about what to get for hammock padding.
I have heard about under quilts, but, as English is not my first language, I don’t really know what I’m looking for when someone mentions it.
I also heard about inflatable padding. Which one and which brand would be the best option to buy?

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com

Alpine Desertburn

Injured Healer
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all!
I have a question about what to get for hammock padding.
I have heard about under quilts, but, as English is not my first language, I don’t really know what I’m looking for when someone mentions it.
I also heard about inflatable padding. Which one and which brand would be the best option to buy?
Here is my setup. As you can see ENO is my chosen brand, just from their reputation and since I haven't trialed any others, all I can say is they haven't let me down. No rips at seams, etc.
20220204_173759.jpg

I got the underquilt because even in summer I can get chilled in a hammock pretty easily (being barely over 5 foot and female contributes to that of course).

The most useful things I have learned from someone who I watched sleep in a hammok full time for four years straight, and from a sperate guy on my trail crew in Yosemite who decided to sleep in his hammock at over 10,000 ft in the high country with /no/ underquilt:

1. Underquilts are necessary all year due to nightly temperature fluctuations (you can move it to the side very easily if desired).
2. Go with a double nest hammok, especially if you are taller so you can sleep diagonally.
3. For added warmth, you can also get a pad with an internal geometric structure (so it won't flatten under your weight) for under you within the hammock as well, but of course keep in mind those slip around and can get annoying. Finding a way to keep it in one place in your hammok while sleeping would be useful. Thermarest is a go-to option and the one I am most familiar with as far as inflatables, and they have gotten a lot more compact and portable since I first started using them many years ago.

Let me know if you have any further questions, and happy travels.
20220204_173732.jpg

• Useful
Reactions: ali and Svintah5635

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads