Packing Vegetables | Squat the Planet

Packing Vegetables

W

Wraith

My diet while traveling normally isn't all that balanced. I've been looking to adding Vegetables. I've seen dehydrated vegetable blends(most were called Vegetable Flakes) you can add to other foods or just to make soup. They were pretty cheap and something I could get easily. Most of the high end dehydrated food packs are just too expensive, and not looking to swipe any. At one time I was able to get a decent amount of fresh veggies from dumpsters but seems of late most people are getting compactors or pouring chemicals to discourage diving.

Anyone have any experience packing vegetables? I appreciate any advice or feedback.

L

LeftCoast

dude i tried the same thing with those veggie flakes but the truth is they is virtually no nutritional value of those things. i just dumpster/steal/buy broccoli, cauliflower, artichokes, carrots etc. just keep them out of plastic as plastic makes them taste like catshit.

thapoet

Mr. Grizzly Bear bait
Reaction score
i've had luck with several fresh veggies lasting awhile, unfortunately its usually the heaviest varieties.... up to 10 days i've kept zucchini, yellow squash, carrots, tomatoes.... chinese roots and stuff keep for a good while... above comment about dried stuff is true, little nutritional value and loaded with msg usually which dehydrates you... lemons and limes are a good pack out. i eat them peeling and all... but i guess what i'm getting atmis this, properly provisioned, 5 lbs of the listed items will easily survive a a week of traveling ... i usually back a little backpack, like a kids pack and scoop up things when i know i may not find wild edibles... oh, btw, if u havent learned half a dozen wild edibles, these will do u well... plantain, thisle, red and white clover, dandelion, cattail and pine needle tea.... they cover ALL the needed vitamins and minerals needed to stay healthy. but none of the fats and raw protien. so u'll have to get that elsewhere... hope my comment helped some...

Reactions: schmutz

purr

Reaction score
Kind of off topic but if you're looking for more nutrition in your diet you could see if you like nutritional yeast. I pretty much sprinkle it on everything I eat. That would be relatively easy/light to pack and doesn't really have a shelf life as long as it stays dry.

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
its all about coconuts especially while hopping trains. and limes. put the lime in the coconut! beets are good too. i have the problem of vegetables rotting in my backpack sometimes.. :(.. textured vegetable protein(tvp) can be good for the veg heads. tomatoes get smushed. cucumbers are one of my favorite things i usually got a couple those and fruit.

purr

Reaction score
If you have somewhere to store it when you're not traveling, investing in a food dehydrator might not be a bad idea. They're not that expensive and then you can just buy whatever veggies you want, dehydrate them, and then either blend them into trail mix or rehydrate them in a soup. Then you don't have to worry about them going bad or getting smushed.

todd

Reaction score
Pine Needle Tea contains 4-5 times the Vitamin C of orange juice, and is high in Vitamin A. also an expectorant, decongestant, and can be used as an antiseptic ..

• Useful
Reactions: shellshell

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads